Top Shelf Aquatics

mini cooling fan

WillyWonka

Hey, i'm looking for a mini cooling fan to help ventilate my canopy. i've been checking out computer fans but they have a special socket to power the fan. help please.

actually a PC fan is run on DC current so you will need a DC converter.

The easiest way is Radioshak they sell 120V AC Current fans that can be spliced into an extension cord/timer. they are like $20 though.

I get my fans at a place called AX-Man surplus they are the same as a Radioshak but they are $2.

Look in your yellow pages under surplus you should have some near you even if they aren't AX-Man.

Good Luck,

Toy

(Edited by Toyfreek at 1:01 am on June 26, 2002)

Nishant3789

yea hubu i tried that and u just cost me a fan!!  not only did i shock my self a good 4 or 5 times, but i blew out the fan!  i should have gone iwth a dc converter..... could i just snip of the end of a cd player power supply? and connect the wires to the fan?

nishant

Vixyswillie
Quote: from Nishant3789 on 10:25 am on June 26, 2002[br]could i just snip of the end of a cd player power supply? and connect the wires to the fan?

nishant

I wouldn't recommend any more experimentation. :) Go to Radio Shack, get yourself a new mini fan, and buy a variable voltage AC/DC converter (3-12 volts). That way, you'll have yourself a variable speed fan in the end: set the DC converter to 3 volts and the fan will run slowly; set it to 12 volts and the fan will run faster. With this arrangement, you'll be able to control the amount of air movement you need to keep your particular lighting combo cool.

i got myself a new mini fan that runs at 5400 rpms for $20 bucks.  now i think all i need is a ac/dc converter but what  i dont know how to do is rig the wires.  there are three.  one yellow, one black, and one red.  i'm pretty sure one of thoes wires is just a sensor wire to feed info to a computer.  

Nishant3789

yea um thats 40 bucks.... no way in hell am i going to apy 40 bucks for something i can get in radioshack for 20...

nishant

Go to the computer supply store and buy the fan of your choice 4-6 bucks. Or rip one out of an old computer or get one from a friend. Go to Target or Kmart get an adjustable supply like Vixyswillie suggested 14.99 ish and hook the dang thing up. Or you can use an old ac/dc converter from anything that's 6 to 12 volt (phone, computer speakers, etc.), but it won't be adjustable and that's a nice feature.

Archived