ReefCleaners.org

At what time you dose your Amino Acids?

jrgnd

cheryl jordan

I dose when I feed and I use the same product. I have not been able to get much info about dosing amino acids so I am intereted in what people have to say, I like the results though.

I dose when I feed and I use the same product. I have not been able to get much info about dosing amino acids so I am intereted in what people have to say, I like the results though.

I might start using it in a week, along with the koral color stuff.

Have you seen any results cheryl?

Are you dosing mb7 and a carbon source?

cheryl jordan

Just dosing the amino acids, god it smells bad, but the coral polyp extention increased, and the SPS's just look healthier. My Duncan and Acans really like too. I dose it twice a week. I was suprised I did not expect the product to look and smell so much like fat. No increase in algae growth, but I see a difference in the skimmer waste amount and type, increased amount of output by the skimmer and thicker. I am waiting on dosing anything else until I see some long term results. ;)

Right now im dosing MB7 and Bio Fuel (although i might switch to vodka not sure yet)

Haven been thinking of dosing the AA and koral color after two weeks of the MB7

I have been dosing MB7 in the morning, then the Bio Fuel at night.

I have my skimmer on a timer so it shuts off and on for the dosing.

My skimmer has been kicking butt though since i started the two im on now

Good question. I haven't seen any recommendations as to when the Amino should be dosed.

I used the Brightwell product for around 3 weeks (4 drops 3x a week in a 12g). I noticed a bit of increased coral color and perhaps a small amount of extra growth.

What really seems to have taken off around this same time period are my pest Hydroids, but I can't definitively say that this product was the cause. I've stopped using the product for a few weeks to see if the Hydroid growth diminishes.

i dont run a skimmer in any of my tanks and i dose "fuel' i forget the brand name

Brightwell aquatics reef biofuel says on it dont use if you dont have a skimmer, not sure if that applies.

But if you arent having any problems, oh well!

Im always looking for ways to improve coral growth.

Good question. I haven't seen any recommendations as to when the Amino should be dosed.

I used the Brightwell product for around 3 weeks (4 drops 3x a week in a 12g). I noticed a bit of increased coral color and perhaps a small amount of extra growth.

What really seems to have taken off around this same time period are my pest Hydroids, but I can't definitively say that this product was the cause. I've stopped using the product for a few weeks to see if the Hydroid growth diminishes.

Well I decided to use it just before the light come on to encourage polyp extension...

brightwell is the best stuff hands down. i use about 8 bottle of their products from the zooplanktin to the tech part a and B to koralcolor, iodone etc. my tank has never looked better! you are right about the stuff smelling. hehe

brightwell is the best stuff hands down. i use about 8 bottle of their products from the zooplanktin to the tech part a and B to koralcolor, iodone etc. my tank has never looked better! you are right about the stuff smelling. hehe

I'm a big fan of them also. I just picked up koral color, tech a&b, and some zooplanktin tonight.

I like their salt too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

I was advised to use amino acid to help my monti and SPS colour up. They are under LED lights and near the surface, about 3-4inches.

I am using kent, is that bad? Everyone here is using the MB stuff...

Hey

I was advised to use amino acid to help my monti and SPS colour up. They are under LED lights and near the surface, about 3-4inches.

I am using kent, is that bad? Everyone here is using the MB stuff...

I started using Brightwells about a month ago. I've been going a little overboard though. I use 10 drops per day in my 24 gallon when I feed my corals. I also use Oyster, phyto, and arctipods. I do daily 1 gallon water changes a few hours after I feed them and a 5 gallon water change once a week. Just to make sure the water doesn't go south. However, my tank is pretty well stocked and I haven't seen any signs of OD:) The stuff is awesome.... My Acans, Acros, Montis, zoas, palys, rics, micros, trumpets, blastos, and even my xenias are showing growth and polyp extension. Unfortunately, the xenias are on steroids and I have to pull some out every week. I definitely recommend the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I dose AA acids twice a week. The stuff is amazing! I was told to pick it up after my light timer switched on for 2 days while I was on vacation (massive bleaching) Within 2 weeks everything had come back to full color. Even my green tort which had refused to turn any other color than brown has now turned green.

My Dosing Schedule:

I soak Dr. Macs Coral Food and Oyster Eggs in 5ML (1 cap full) of AA twice a week. I usually let it soak for about 15 min and then dose when the lights are on. I turn my skimmer and return pump off and slowly add a little bit at a time directly on each coral.

I break the dosage down so that I'm able to feed the same amount everyday rather than span it out twice or three times a week. I'm also only using half the recommended dosage. Since naturally, most SPS don't extend their polyps during daylight hours (there's plenty of polyp nipping fish in the ocean) and the planktonic population is most abundant at night, I dose everything one or two hours after lights out and have my skimmer on a timer to turn off at night.

• 3 weeks later...

according to this (DFAA stands for dissolved free amino acids):

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/211/...ourcetype=HWFIG

"The effect of light on DFAA uptake is complex. Indeed, light enhanced DFFA uptake, but only at concentrations above 0.5·mol·l–1, suggesting that a minimal concentration is required to

activate this process. Moreover, this enhancement was not proportional to light intensity since it was saturated at 160·mol·photons·m–2·s–1. Finally, the same phenomenon was

observed both in the zooxanthellae and the animal tissue (Fig.·5). These observations strongly suggest that zooxanthellae are actively involved in DFAA uptake, but their contribution should necessarily

be indirect and linked to their photosynthetic activity. It is indeed known that the transfer of photosynthates from the zooxanthellae to the animal is a source of energy, enhancing the animal metabolism and the incorporation of nitrogen into proteins. This mechanism has been called the ‘light-enhanced amino acid assimilation’ (Al- Moghrabi et al., 1993). In contrast to our observations and those of Al-Moghrabi et al. (Al-Moghrabi et al., 1993), a faster DFAA uptake in the dark was observed for the species Pocillopora damicornis (Hoegh-Guldberg and Williamson, 1999). This inconsistency could be due to species specificity, but remains to be further investigated."

So if I understood it correctly starting during the lights on phase is good with the exception of Pocillopora which take up more DFAA in the dark.

Archived