Coral Vue Hydros

My tank Stinks

Rampy

The water and the rocks in there not's smell so good, its about two months old, what can I do to reduce the oddors?

or what are the reasons that ir don't smell so good

I have good circulation, But i am planning to do a new canopy because is not so open, maybe because de air exchange? or the algae blooms?

If you run some carbon in your filter, it will take the smell out very quickly. There is always some smell if you stick your nose close to the water, but if it is strong away from the tank, there is probably something rotting in there. New rock always smells when cycling, but by 2 months, it should be faded.

rampy,

are you pulling any of the algae out? there still needs to be some kind of nutrient export or biomass sequestering of the nutrients. the algae may be locking it in and dying off and you get decay smell. btw, sulfur stinky or moldy stinky?

dingo's also right on about carbon. how's the surface of the water?

yesterday I do massive clean, pulled out all the algae that I could, anda Did a water change, The smell is getting better, I always run some carbon, I think that is the algae locking off as you said tinyreef. I am gonna keep this procedeure, I can't not say if is sulfur or moldy stinky, because I don't know what does that mean, My english is not that good

Originally posted by Rampy

I can't not say if is sulfur or moldy stinky, because I don't know what does that mean, My english is not that good

s'ok, neither is mine. ;)

sulfur smell ~ rotten eggs

moldy smell ~ stale

Archived