Pod Your Reef

how much do you top off ?

hjk1173

It all depends on your evaporation rate. Different lights and the distance from light to tank, different room temperatures, cooling fans, indoor humidity will all be different for individual tanks which will give you varying degrees of evap. Never actually measured my rate, it probably varies from day to day, if I think of it next time I will though.

Always use fresh water for topoff, the salt doesn't evaporate with the water. If you have a lot of evap your salinity will go up. Some people dose their topoff with additives- Kalk, calcium supps, buffers, etc.

That was the fastest reply in history. thanks. I was pretty sure most people did full fresh for top offs..as i am aware of the chemistry behind the building salinity, just wanted to make sure. As for putting the additives in the top off water, that is a pretty good idea!

I've got a 20H under 250 MH. I usually go through about 4 gallons of RO/DI freshwater a week topping off.

I'm dreading what it's going to be like in the summer months.

i've got a 20H under 175. and two fans blowing into canopy. my rubbermaid container holds around 3.5 to 4 gallon and lasts almost 2 weeks, maybe less.

Archived