inTank Media Baskets

DI RESIN how long does it last

Atlantis Reef

Atlantis Reef

Hey all how long does your DI resin last? I know TDS will climb and color changes but just wondered how much water you should get per refill of DI resin. My water in to RO unit is 340 out of RO 12 to DI out of DI 0 just seems like I would get more water out of a full DI mb me just hating the cost hehe.

Several things have an effect on DI resin life. Of course the obvious one is the TDS of the water being fed to it but another big one is CO2 in your water. This can have a huge effect.

You will also get many different qualities of resin in this hobby, some good some not so good. Freshness makesa big difference, DI even when hermetically sealed has a shelf life of about 6 months and degrades from there. never buy more than you can use in about 6 months time and always keep it tightly sealed with moisture in the bag and in the refrigerator so it stays damp, cool and out of direct lighting.

All that being said, I use only Spectrapure DI resins personally. They research and blend all their resins in house and their MaxCap and SilicaBuster DI resins are top notch. My resin life went from 150 gallons per full 20 oz refill with normal bulk resins ( I tried 4 different known and trusted suppliers) to over 830 gallons on my first cartridge of MaxCap, huge difference!

They also offer both resins in bulk and have a Customer Appreciation sale going on here:

http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-...eciation.html#1

neanderthalman
Hey all how long does your DI resin last? I know TDS will climb and color changes but just wondered how much water you should get per refill of DI resin. My water in to RO unit is 340 out of RO 12 to DI out of DI 0 just seems like I would get more water out of a full DI mb me just hating the cost hehe.

Your problem is your RO membrane. You have about ten times the TDS in your RO than you ought to. Mine outputs 0-1 TDS at steady-state.

Try flushing the membrane, and if that fails, replace it with a high-quality membrane. You'll cut your DI usage waaaaay back.

Think of it this way. The DI resin removes a finite amount of dissolved solids. If you feed it 1 TDS water from the RO instead of 10 TDS water, you will get ten times the water for the same DI resin. This is probably the biggest gain you can get - you'd go from making 100 gallons to 1000 gallons.

Then get high quality resin, and you're laughing. I like the BRS resin, good value for money.

The other thing you should consider is getting a high-capacity container, like a barrel or drum. The thing about RO is that when you're not using them, dissolved solids will leach across the membrane. The little bit of water that first shoots through your DI when you start making water is actually quite contaminated, and chews up your resin far faster than the water at steady-state. So, by using a large capacity container and starting the RO/DI less often, you extend your DI life. In addition, if you add an tap between the RO and DI, you can drain off the contaminated water and get the RO membrane producing clean water, before opening the DI valve.

Atlantis Reef

Thanks for the help Im also thinking mb the temp of water my incoming temp is 50-56 all year round due to well and mb I need buster pump due to psi in is 40 - 50 any thoughts

neanderthalman
Thanks for the help Im also thinking mb the temp of water my incoming temp is 50-56 all year round due to well and mb I need buster pump due to psi in is 40 - 50 any thoughts

Might help. 40-50 is pretty low. At any rate, your RO performance will certainly improve, ie: more water per day.

Atlantis Reef

do you let waste water flow full or restrict it to not waste so much water or get so much to use in washing machine will it effect ro membrane and di resin? Need help ready to buy stuff to fix problem Thanks all

Archived