inTank Media Baskets

Frag Installation Question

acropora1981

I have a bunch of frags on frag plugs, made of...well ...concrete? I guess...aragonite...who knows, they're like these Frag plugs.

Anyway, right now I just have them crammed into holes in the rock, but a lot of them keep falling out. What I'm wondering is, can I drill similar sized holes in the live rock to make secure places, and if so, what kind of drill bit should I use? Any handy tips/techniques?

use aquamend putty and super glue gel

To make the plugs fit better use a diamond blade drimel and cut the bottom of the plug at an angle like this / then put a small layer of spuer glue gel onto it, then put the ball of putty ontop of that and then another layer of super glue gel on the bottom of the putty ball, push into the rock and twist, then push the putty out with your fingers until it is smooth and has a nice bond that looks good and you're done

this is the best method i've found and although the bond breaks over time occassionally if the plugs have been laid ontop of algea or Zoa's but if they incrust onto the rock they won't ever come free unless you try really hard, but if they come off becuase of just normal bumping and the algea you covered up you can always reglue them

after a few times of doing this you'll figure out a good way to make it work on your tank

you can drill the holes but the plugs could still fall out becuase of snails and other things if you want a solid bond for 6+ months use the super glue gel and putty

Awesome! That sounds easier than drilling holes in liverock.

So I cut the bottom of the plug? Whats the purpse of cutting the bottom of the plug? Sorry I just like to know why im doing stuff ;)

Also, where would I get the diamond dremmel bit? I have a dremmel but not the bit. Home depot?

you cut the plug like this / a 45 degree angle so when you use the putty and twist it on it gets a good proper hold on the plug and use super glue gel on each end of putty just a little drop for a quick extra bond hold home depot you can get all that the aqua mend, super glue gel and the router tools all different kinds good luck and have fun

I have a bunch of frags on frag plugs, made of...well ...concrete? I guess...aragonite...who knows, they're like these Frag plugs.

Anyway, right now I just have them crammed into holes in the rock, but a lot of them keep falling out. What I'm wondering is, can I drill similar sized holes in the live rock to make secure places, and if so, what kind of drill bit should I use? Any handy tips/techniques?

How to glue frags

When mine are rockin around, I just add some superglue where it makes contact with the rock and just add super glue there. Don't have to cut any plugs or use aqua-mend might be permanet!

Archived