Pod Your Reef

how to glue sps w/o exposed skeleton?

blk_g20

i picked up a small frag today. my first attemp at SPS. my question is, it has no exposed skeleton to apply glue to. how should i attach it? apply glue over part of the tissue? break it in 2 to expose the skeleton and apply glue there? right now, i just put one end into a little hole in the rock. it stays there but i'm afraid it might come lose. also, any problems with being close to the xenia? i coral book should be here in a couple of days and that might provide some answer, but until then, any input will help. thanks

I think the glue might cause the tissue to rot. Don't take my advise since I have no experience ;) But I think the experts will say you have to strip some tissue off the skeleton so you can apply the glue there... I've read this is how they glue gorgonian frags (GARF site, I think you'll find your answer there)

do not strip the tissue.

if the coral is staying in place, leave it be. the more you handle them, the more damage you can cause (believe me when I say this, I am a killer).

As for how to glue and mount corals, head to spsfrags.com and check out the mounting instructions. Excellent stuff.

try to avoid getting the cyanoacrylate on the living tissue. A good frag will have a clean flat base to glue onto the rock. If you can remove the rock and glue it out of the water, that would be good too. Definitely less (god dammit, fat employee just knocked over half the crap on my desk as she walked by in her oversized fat girl parka) of a mess and easier to accomplish.

You can also glue the frag to a piece of rubble and then putty the rubble to a larger rock in the tank.

my frag doesn't have any base or exposed skeleton w/o tissue. perhaps i can break a piece off and glue the skeleton that way. would that be ok? how do i break it? just snap a branch off?

ok, put the frag down and step away from the tank.

at the point where the frag was broken off the mother colony, there is a white exposed skeleton (at the bottom). Hold the frag under water with the broken end exposed to the air. Put one drop of cyanoacrylate on the exposed portion (the white skeletal part). Dunk, repeat. Now hold it down on the rock you want to mount the coral on. It shouldn't need more than one or two drops.

As I said, easier to attach it to a piece of rubble and then putty the rubble to the rock.

Do you have lots of hermits? If not, leaev it be for a month or 2 and let it encrust if you can. If not, there will be a definate "bottom", If you need, a bit of glue over a small part won't kill it. Make sure it likes the spot first before gluing the piece down to the rock.

the picture in the first post was taken 1/2 hr after putting it in. the polyps are out. what else is there to indicate its happy and likes where it is? i only have 3 scarlet hermits. also, what about being close to the xenia? i didn't think xenias are aggressive and thought it wouldn't be a problem.

give it time to adjust to lighting and flow issues. This could take up to a week, plus it'll calm down from shippiong and placement. then decide if you like it there for good glue it.

Archived