Coral Vue Hydros

diatom bloom

mg0465a

i added LR 10 days ago and in the last 24 hours began noticing a lot of brown build up on the LR and in the sand.. also noticing a few areas of a dark, almost maroon, red beginning to form on the rocks as well.... how long do u think before i start seeing this algae hair bloom??

cheryl jordan
i added LR 10 days ago and in the last 24 hours began noticing a lot of brown build up on the LR and in the sand.. also noticing a few areas of a dark, almost maroon, red beginning to form on the rocks as well.... how long do u think before i start seeing this algae hair bloom??

It is different for every tank but is sounds totally normal. Have you done any test yet, or seen any spikes in ammonia? :)

You really don't want a hair algae bloom, PITA. Diatom bloom is normal and is usually a brownish color. Watch the maroon stuff as it may be cyanobacteria. What did you use as source water?

all my levels are actually at 0.. didnt really see any spike in any of my levels.. got good cured LR from a friend.. but the LR was out of tank for 12 hours because he had to overnight it to me.... I used reverse OS machine for the water.. i have specturpure machine thing so I made my own water.... do you think i should be adding a cuc already? tomorrow is 11 days

but i do see a little of maroonish color forming on one of the rocks.. what should i do?

all my levels are actually at 0.. didnt really see any spike in any of my levels.. got good cured LR from a friend.. but the LR was out of tank for 12 hours because he had to overnight it to me.... I used reverse OS machine for the water.. i have specturpure machine thing so I made my own water.... do you think i should be adding a cuc already? tomorrow is 11 days

but i do see a little of maroonish color forming on one of the rocks.. what should i do?

I added my CUC after 14 days and i had tons of diatoms and now starting to get green slime algea on walls and rocks...i would say its safe

cheryl jordan

Test for phosphate and increase the flow. Sorry but I have no idea what specturpure is silly me. Clean any area where the cynobacteria is, use a turkey baster for the sand and rocks to get it off, then do a water change. I would wait and see how the cynobacteria problems goes before adding a CUC, they will not eat it anyway.

wait im sorry my levels arent all at 0.. 7.8ph, no2 is 0, no3 is around 8mg... so my no3 is still high.... do u still suggest i use the turkey baster to nail the red off the rock?? even tho im in a new cycle?

here are the best pics i have of the maroon growth on the rock.. the first pic is a much better pic.. thats where the majority of this maroon dark red growth is on my rock..

and my flow is good as well. i just readjusted the powerhead a little to give a little more flow to the maroon area....

Spectrapure? RO/DI Unit.

yeah, i have the spectrapure ro/di unit

Archived