Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green Sinularia help

sdboogie

I recently got a six pack from seacrop and got a green sinularia in it. I think it's also called finger leather. It came unmounted and I've had the worst time getting it on a rock. It's in about three pieces now. I've tried needle and thread, superglue and a combination of both. It alway comes off. I'm out of ideas and about to give up. It doesn't look good from the abuse and handling. I'm thinking about giving it up to someone that can save it. Any ideas or methods on how to get it goin in my tank?

rubber band it to a piece of rock. gluing it won't work unless it has attached to some rubble or sand.

thread and needle? frankenleather?

the two methods you tried must have ####ed that leather off big time. Rest it in the sand, near some rubble and let it recouperate from the attack.

get a small piece of rock (if new, soak & clean first) and drill a hole about 1/4 of the height of the frag. place the frag into the hole and lightly rubber it into place (optimally over a "Y" branching part of the frag. you don't want to squeeze the frag with the band, it'll just sever it again.

place the rock/frag in a medium current (2"~4"/per sec.). mary's sinularia is slimy (glue won't work) but it grows pretty fast so it should attach quickly. it'll perk up after a day once it's set into place. hth

I'm pretty sure I ####ed them off big time (the leather is three now). I'll let them recuperate for about a week before drilling a hole then rubberbanding. Those are good ideas. Thanx Crak and tiny.

not really necessary to let them recuperate ime. just be ginger with them (they do tend to squish).

i usually work in a smaller bin outside of the tank (especially for real softies, not so much with true leathers or stonys). the water medium lets you handle the frag, kinda like in zero-gravity, so that you don't have to firmly grip them or anything to put them into place.

also try to have a pencil or throwaway chopsticks handy. easier to manipulate than stubby fingers (just a nudge here and there, i don't try to pluck them with the sticks). also try to plan out your rock placement in advance of the fragging. good luck!

Done, three frags have turned into four. I drilled the rock and pruned each frag to get more tree trunk so to speak to put in the whole. The rubber bands are on and I place the frags in a medium flow area on the sand. I hope this does it. I already lost the toadstool that came in the six pack. Hopefully now, I will have frags to trade. Thanks again. I'll update when anything changes. How long should the frags take to attach to the rock?

chopstix work good on that bonzai leather. I should have taken the advice. I must have dropped those frags 5 times on the floor not to mention the 'I just got arrested and processed' look on my fingers.

Originally posted by Crakeur

throw away chopsticks. tiny, you have extra fortunes for the  cookies too?

hey, what can i say? the 'brothers' know how to take care of me for take-out. innocent.jpg

Archived