Top Shelf Aquatics

Heater temp setting

Rem

I have a Jager 150W heater in my 28g. It's been getting colder here lately and I've been turning up my heater 1F each day which started from 79F and is currently set at 82F, but the tank stays at 76.1 to 76.5 throughout the night and early morning.

Can anyone tell me if aquarium heaters get hotter when turning up the dial or are they like house heaters that stay on at a consistent temp until the specified temp setting is reached.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should I add a 2nd heater.

Thanks

I have a Jager 150W heater in my 28g. It's been getting colder here lately and I've been turning up my heater 1F each day which started from 79F and is currently set at 82F, but the tank stays at 76.1 to 76.5 throughout the night and early morning.

Can anyone tell me if aquarium heaters get hotter when turning up the dial or are they like house heaters that stay on at a consistent temp until the specified temp setting is reached.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should I add a 2nd heater.

Thanks

They are SUPPOSED to be more like house thermostats, set the temp and it should maintain that. I take it you have the heater submerged at least to the waterline marked on its side? If the thermostat inside isn't below the waterline completely, it may get odd readings and not let the heater work correctly.

I have a 50w Jager heater with a stuck-on thermostat that I use to warm fresh-mixed SW, it refuses to shutoff no matter how low I set the dial (thermostat stuck closed), so theres a minor possibility yours is sticking open, which is pretty uncommon.

I use a 50w Stealth in my NC12, and a 50w Finnex titanium in my pico, the Stealth is decent, but the Finnex acts like its on a computer controller, the temp in that tank is at 80° 24/7. I'm seriously considering getting another one to replace the Stealth.

Heaters heat to a specific temperature. They don't get hotter as you turn them up.

I suspect that given lower ambient air temperatures during the winter months, the heater simply is not strong enough to achieve the higher desired temperature. I would not worry about it to much however. Most saltwater critters will do just fine with temperatures in the mid seventies. What you want to avoid is big temperature swings. I would set the heater to 76 or 77 and not worry about it to much.

Archived