Pod Your Reef

Daily Evaporation

Dorgs2

Hi all,

I have a JBJ 28g HQI (186w) and am wondering what's a "normal" daily evaporation; or how much should I be topping-off on a daily basis?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

its quite alot. i get through 5 gallons of topoff water in maybe a little over a full week. but i got fans blowing and stuff

carbon-mantis

I guess it's the difference in air-tank temperature, but I'm having to replace nearly 1/2 a gallon every 24 hours in my 10g. Not having a top isn't really helping that much either(bulky filters and glass lids don't fit).

"normal" varies, therefore, there is no "normal". Open top Aquapod 24 with a 150W Sunpod on 8 hours per day - I top-off about 28 oz./day

Summer is much different than winter on my open top with MH.

Also now that I have a reefkeeper controlling my fans/heater I get much much less.

Past summer: 5-8 gallons/week

This winter: 2 gallons/week

A gallon a day right now, give or take.

I keep my house at 72 in the winter, 76-78 in the summer.

EDIT: Figured i better state this is an open top 40B

my 24g nano i never top off, the SG is 1.025 every time i check it. WEIRRDDD!!

Then again it has a nice fitting lid, when you open it the evap water falls back into the tank instead of escaping. Or my 40b is the "easier target" and evaps like crazy.

LED retro fit and i swear my evap is only 1/3 cup a day or less.. you should probably just be checking you salinity every day or so because every tank seems to be a little different, and if you make that your daily routine youll see whats "normal" for your tank pretty quickly

Archived