inTank Media Baskets

Live Rock Diversity

cmoreash

Hello.

I was looking at some different choices of live rock, and I was wondering what kinds of life came on each type of rock.

I was looking at:

Fiji live rock

Tonga branch live rock

Marshall Islands live rock

Brazilian live rock

Have any of you had experiences with these, and what life forms usually come on them? Thanks! :D

I don't know if you could really break it down like that. Regardless of what type of rock you get, if it is of good quality, and is well-collected and handled, you should find a vast array of lifeforms. I have Fiji rock in my nano, and it came with pods, sponges, worms, some small polyps, macroalgae, tiny snails, microhermits, colonial feather dusters, etc, etc. There are things that will show up months later that you never knew you had.

I've spoken with quite a few people who've used caribbean rock from www.gulf-view.com and they all claim a huge amount of life (including corals like small open brains and the like).

I guess if you wanted maximum diversity you could get few pieces of each type available to you, but you may not like the way that looks. I like how I can rearrange my Fiji rock however I want, and thay always stack neatly and look like one continuous reef as opposed to a pile of rocks.

Just go with a high-quality rock and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Agreed.

I have several types in my tank, with most abundant being the Fiji type.

A type of rock may have the most abundant life on it, but if not handle and shipped properly, most of that life will die off anyway.

I really like the aquacultured rock myself. Tons of life and you aren't taking anything from a reef.

I have a piece of the Marshall Island rock too, but all I got on that was some majano anemones (considered pests like aiptasia):(

NaNO ReeFiN

The live rock my LFS sells are marshall, tonga, and fiji. From what I've seen, fiji has the most life on them, yet they're cheaper then the marshall and tonga branch.. But it all depends on how well they were maintained during shipping as well as kept at the LFS.

Guest LudavicoTechnique

All live rock will have a good diversity of life. In my friends 40 gallon reef that he set up 4 years ago, he just noticed that he has a blue starfish that he never purchased. It came in on the rock, and obviously grew up where he couldnt see it. It's those kinds of surprises that you love in live rock.

Yup i am familiar with fiji, and tonga, but i have never seen the brazilian or marshall islands in person, so i was wondering if they had anything special. Thanks :cool:

NaNO ReeFiN

The marshall at my LFS are just big chunks of rocks, don't have much color and life to them and costs a bundle! Of course that's just 1 store but fiji on the other hand looked nice at 4 different LFS's.

Fishiebusiness

I have 1.99 per pound fiji and it came with some orange button polyps, a lil purple mushroom, lots of bristle worms, nice patches of coralline and a few aiptasia (which my peppermint has eaten).

From what I have read and seen tonga and marshall island tend to be lighter than fiji. dont quote me but that is what seem to be the case

marshall island rock is ugly. get fiji or tonga....from what i hear gulf rock isnt bad either and has tons of life.

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by mysk

From what I have read and seen tonga and marshall island tend to be lighter than fiji.  dont quote me but that is what seem to be the case

With the prices I've seen, I'd probably believe that... but 1.99/lb. for fiji live rock??!! That's pretty hard to believe! (I believe you fishie, it's just that's crazy!).

In my 8 years of experience I have found that branch rock (from whereever) does not have as many critters as the rock that is more shaped...like...well rocks :-). Of course, we are takling about stuff that is is visible to the naked eye right? Who knows which type tends to have more of the benificial bacteria we all cherish. Anyway, everytime I habe bought "chuck" rocks things have sprouted from it and crawled out of it...not so with branch. My 2 cents.

Archived