Coral Vue Hydros

Coraline algae

nanoreefer4life

Seed with some rock that already has it on there....

Good water quality, along with maintaining good PH, ALK, and Calcium...

I have always had the best of luck with using C-Balance two part A and B... always jump started the coralline quickly for me... Just DON'T use Purple Up...

Seed with some rock that already has it on there....

Good water quality, along with maintaining good PH, ALK, and Calcium...

I have always had the best of luck with using C-Balance two part A and B... always jump started the coralline quickly for me... Just DON'T use Purple Up...

+1 ^^

also decent lighting, although some versions of coralline don't like super intense light, like from MH.

+1 ^^

also decent lighting, although some versions of coralline don't like super intense light, like from MH.

I think that is why mine has been taking so long to grow. But finally growing, albeit, slowly. I have kept calcium at 420+, mag at 1300, alk at 9 but the lighting is MH. Grows nicely on the bottom/back rock though.

My own experience with it just wasnt too good. It threw off some other things like my calcium and stuff, and it didn't really work.

I would suggest using C-Balance... it is a two part dose that works well...

It also clouded up my water and PO'd a lot of my coral....

I've never been able to determine exactly what Purple-Up does except to cloud water and add carbonate mud to the system.

Best to stick with what is well known, i.e. multipart Ca, Mg and Alk additives.

It is only partially useful for calcium. No product in a single bottle can provide both calcium and alkalinity (carbonate/bicarbonate) because calcium carbonate would precipitate out until either calcium or carbonate is used up. Kalkwasser is an exception, but it is made of calcium hydroxide, which stays in solution. This is why two-part solutions are so popular.

Guest nanoreefchris
It is only partially useful for calcium. No product in a single bottle can provide both calcium and alkalinity (carbonate/bicarbonate) because calcium carbonate would precipitate out until either calcium or carbonate is used up. Kalkwasser is an exception, but it is made of calcium hydroxide, which stays in solution. This is why two-part solutions are so popular.

exactly

I maintained a "religious" weekly water change schedule, and 6-7 months later, the coraline algae grew everywhere. I don't dose anything.

No sense rushing to get something to grow. If your tank is healthy, it should grow in time :)

Purple-up and water changes work for me. All I dose is purple-up and my tank started coralinne growth at the 1 1/2 month stage. It is now growing all over the glass, filter, heater, and powerhead in small patches.

I have coraline in my 6 week old 10 gallon. All I did was use one piece of live rock that had some coraline growth on it. I maintain steady water parameters. Just keep a healthy tank and the algae will do its thing on its own. Just my .02.

Ok, why would you want coraline algae???? Can someone please explain? I just spent three hours scraping that crap off of my 34 gallon RSM on Saturday, it was EVERYWHERE. Still is, didn't even get all of it. It also was lowering my alk.

As much as you (and I) dislike it on the glass, it makes our rock look really nice.

If don't think so, dig up some pics of when you first set your systems up and how dingy-bald the rock looked compared to now.

Archived