SaltCritters.com

Salinity Spikes

Guest iamjpapz

Guest iamjpapz

I used to have a 100 gallon salt water fish tank in my room but now that I am in college I have moved down to a 3 Gallon JBJ Picotope. I am new to managing small salt water fish tanks. I am running a very small filter on my tank and have a 12 inch DUAL 12" Current USA light on the tank. The water evaporates every single night by about 1cm to 2cm and the salinity jumps from roughly 1.020 to about 1.022 every day before I add more freshwater. So two questions. First, I assume so, but is this normal for a three gallon tank? Second, is there anything I can do to minimize these salinity spikes?

Thanks

Pretty normal. I would start topping off multiple times per day if possible. You could get one of the glass or acrylic covers for the tank. I think there a is a for sale thread in the marketplace somewhere...

Also, don't kill the brittle stars ;)

Guest iamjpapz

haha thanks! yeah, i bought the lid from that group buy but havent recieved it yet. I am hoping that wont fix the problem. I wont kill the brittle stars but I am going to give them to whoever wants them. I have more brittle stars in my tank than black sand! lol

haha thanks! yeah, i bought the lid from that group buy but havent recieved it yet. I am hoping that wont fix the problem. I wont kill the brittle stars but I am going to give them to whoever wants them. I have more brittle stars in my tank than black sand! lol

Air pump powered ATO, I use one, lose maybe 3/16" water at most before the pump activates and tops off.

Edit: BTW, I got my ATO parts from aquahub.com, they sell a full kit (minus pump, tubing, and extension-cord) for about 40 bucks that comes with 2 floats, but you should really only need one.

Archived