SaltCritters.com

Plenums

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

How many people are currently using a plenum on their nano? They come highly reccomended by reef experts, and reduce the amount of substrate you need. Let me know if you are using one or not.

I have read of things going wrong with them...cant remember what exactly.

I am not using one. Didnt read enough benefits for using them, so decided not to implement one.

IMO, wouldnt really make that much of a differance, and isnt easy to setup either.

I researched the Plenum alot before I used it in my 75G tank. The consensus is that the plenum will be come saturated eventually and start to leak nutients back into the tank.

The solution to this was to set up airline tube in the plenum and use it to occasionally syphon out the nutrient rich water. I do this about every 5-6 months and boy is that water smelly.

i have read that plenums are beneficial for larger size tanks, but im not too sure how it would be beneficial in a nano.

so please keep me updated if you ever try to do it with a nano :)

From what I remember reading when I was setting up my big tank, I would have to agree that it may just not be practical for a nano. Considering that the plenum was 1" off the ground and recessed off the sides by 2", then throw in the 4-5" of sand on top, I just don't know.

I'll be doing a DSB on both my nano and when I reset up my 75G after I move.

Ive ran umpteen bajillion tanks with plennumns for years. The key to sucess is a GREAT sand bed and the nutrient rick water underneets DOES need siphoning. I plumb in airline under the Plate (which has a 1/2 inch lift ONLY !) and will siphon off 5 - 10 gall every 8 months that way. every 2 years I gravel siphon the tank and break it down in areas of HIGH mulm accumulation. and yeas even in a LSB or DSB ###### DOES accumulate and will need to be removed eventualy. Plenums are inharently more difficult to set up corectly, but once set, will preform Flawlessly PROVIDED there are no digging fish or crabs or inverts that make depressions and expose the under gravel plate. occasionaly the NITRATES will spike when this happens as the anoxic zone is exposed and makes it difficult for the LR to keep up with the nitrogen gass redux process. If you want more info, AOL IM me and Ill explain it in detail....

Archived