Pod Your Reef

Light and Fans Not Working - Nano Cube 12 Gallon Tank

Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master

So I have a 12 gallon Nano Cube. Recently, the light would only turn on occasionally while the fans would always function whether or not the light came on. So I figured the bulb was faulty and replaced it, but the problem still persisted. And now the fans have stopped working as well. Sometimes the light will still come on (rarely), but the fans never come on anymore. I opened up the aluminum panel behind the light but I couldn't find the problem. The two LED lights still work though. Anyone have any suggestions on where I might be able to find the problem in the circuits?

Thank you!

So I have a 12 gallon Nano Cube. Recently, the light would only turn on occasionally while the fans would always function whether or not the light came on. So I figured the bulb was faulty and replaced it, but the problem still persisted. And now the fans have stopped working as well. Sometimes the light will still come on (rarely), but the fans never come on anymore. I opened up the aluminum panel behind the light but I couldn't find the problem. The two LED lights still work though. Anyone have any suggestions on where I might be able to find the problem in the circuits?

Thank you!

I had a similar issue back in April of this year, in fact, my lights died completely, but the fans kept running. turns out the ballast was bad. I ordered a new ballast from nanotuners (the whole thing) and a few days later I believe it was Nick called me up while I was in the hospital recovering from a ruptured appendix and asked me a few things and he determined that I just needed the ballast itself inside the ballast box, which saved me about 50-60 bucks.

Give Nanotuners a call, they can probably diagnose it over the phone same as they did mine, and hopefully its just the $30 internal ballast, or a loose wire in the ballast box.

Thanks, I e-mailed them and they said it is probably the ballast. They don't have any in stock though. :(

Hmm, I may part with my ballast box for a small price plus shipping, although its been acting a bit odd, the switch doesn't always shut it off (it is today, but the timer I use always works to operate it, so the ballast is good). You'd likely have to use it in your ballast box anyways though, as I have the old style quick-connects on my ballast, my tank was made in mid '05. Shoot me a PM sometime if you can't find one elsewhere, and we can prolly work something out.

Edit: reason I can part with it soonish is I bought the 3.6 LED kit from nanotuners, I intend to install it shortly, or tomorrow, depends how I feel in half an hour from now.

Archived