Coral Vue Hydros

In Need of Good Resources

RiversideGuy

Hello everyone,

I am a very new member and was wondering if there was a good book or lengthy magazine articles on starting a nano reef. I would like to know a few things before I started this process. Also I live in Southern California (Riverside area) and wondered if anyone knew of a good place to get good corals/fish. I am thinking of getting a JBJ Nano Cube but would not minding spending a little extra $$ for a larger tank but It sounds like it would be a good starter tank for a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Where in the IE ?

I'm in the Sun City/Perris area...

also this site has good information on how to begin.

Just click the "Learn" link at the top of the page.

You'll want to read these articles to start with. Some good choices for reference books would be John Tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums and Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals.

Start with the articles linked above and read, absorb, read again and ask questions.

Welcome to Nano-Reef!

Gills in Temecula...I used to live in Nuevo right by Perris worked for CDF Riverside, theres also a place in mo-val can't remember the name though.

I think the MoVal place closed...

Gills changed owners, still has good stock and the best prices in the IE, IMO.

Also there's Far West in Murrieta..not bad, although some of the ppl. who work there are not very knowledgeable..(oh,like THAT'S a shock..) Ask for Rich..just remember he's a businessman. (read: tends to sell, sell, sell )

If you're willing to drive a bit, there's loads of them in O.C. Orange Crush can help you with those.

I may be making a run into Jeff's after Xmas for rock and livestock. After you research,(search button, ask questions)you can tag along, or give me a list. Your choice.

In any event, welcome to Nano-Reef.

hehehehe....

Thanks everyone for writing. Caja pointed me at some good articles on this site. 2manytanks I live in Riverside so I would not mind driving to OC for some good stuff. Where is Jeff's? I am hoping for some after Xmas sales and maybe get some stuff then. Thanks for all the help people.

Matt

donteatthenano

i'm also fairly new to the hobby. my 10 gallon has been up and running since the beginning of august 2003 and is doing very well. i did about 6 months of research, using this site and reefcentral as my primary resources, before setting up my tank. there are plenty of articles to read, written by very experienced folks. lots of them also participate regularly in these forums. i for one am really into learning all i can about corals and would highly recommend borneman's aquarium corals. the photography alone makes it worth whatever you pay for it (got mine on amazon for cheap). there is also a huge amount of information and for a textbook, eric really did a good job making it an enjoyable read. but that's just my opinion. good luck!

jason

Been a long time, but there was a nice place just of the 10 in SBD (on the northside)......can't remember the name, but there was a TGIF/Chillis across the street and a petco you could see from the freeway. They had a 500+ show tank with small (3') reef sharks in it.......sorry for the vague answer.

Archived