inTank Media Baskets

type of jellyfish maybe?

eidolon

Well, I'm pretty sure this is a jellyfish of some kind, I don't think its a hydra. Its brown in color and swims just like the jellyfish you see in the ocean. Its also fairly small, about the size of a small pin head.I just wanna know if anyone has had any experience with these, they don't seem to be harmful. I'm also questioning it because its so small, and only one will appear at a time, and will disappear for a month, and when he surfaces again, he hasn't gotten any bigger.

side note-I saw one attached to a piece of LR once, it looked like a small feather duster at first glanced, but then the tentacles started a swimming motion. i watched it and it looked like the jelly was attached to the rock by a stem that was attached to the center top of its head....O_o strange......

I tried to sharpen the pics up a little for better viewing...but it was so small, this is the best i could do.

matt the fiddler

kinda looks like a big version of what attached to my glass.. mine is pod size... and was pulsing around last night..

this is the best macro blow up i could do with my current camera... wishing i had a slr digital with a really nice nice macro about now...

That last picture is of a free-swiming or recently attached hydroid. Not horrible unless you have small, somewhat sessile fish in your tank. (i.e. Seahorses).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same thing as Matt the Fiddler. What the heck is it?

Several pin head sized jellyfish medusa like creatures that swim to light populate my tank. The hydroid form is equally teeny and attached to my live rock. is it aiptasia? it doesn't match any known image i can find in google, but MattTF pic is the closest to what i also have.

• 1 month later...
matt the fiddler

mine were in for about 2 weeks .. and haven't seen them in since that pic was taken... people who have those say they will come and go...

Archived