Cultivated Reef

Plantarms LED Pico Fixture 10''

plantarms

thanks, i got my power supplies from amazon, they were about $13 each which is a really good price. Are you going to get a 1000ma buckpuck for the whites or are you set on using 700ma for both? Are you going with dimmable drivers, i would highly suggest it

What is the different? so i should use 1000ma buckpuck for whites and get 700ma for the blues? or should i get 2 x 3023-D-E-700P drivers buckpucks from Ledsupply with dimmable driver?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the different? so i should use 1000ma buckpuck for whites and get 700ma for the blues? or should i get 2 x 3023-D-E-700P drivers buckpucks from Ledsupply with dimmable driver?

the 1000mA buckpucks are used to drive the cool white because that is their max power if you look in the datasheet on www.ledsupply.com, and the 700mA buckpucks is the max for the blues. Getting dimmable drivers is definitely one of the best decisions you can make when building an led fixture and it does not cost much more.

get these

http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-e-700p.php

http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-e-1000p.php

I wish i have ask you a little earlier! :(

i order 2 x 03023-d-e-700p instead of one 1000p and one 700p. Will it be okay still to use 700p on the whites and 700p on blue with dimmers? the pucks are coming in this week

Don't panic. You are fine. Considering the size of your tank, you are probably going to be turning the drivers down anyway. There will be more than enough light for all you want to keep.

evil is right, he knows way more about this than i do, i suggested the 1000mA driver for the whites because they are able to be driven up to the level and it is the same cost as the 700mA driver, so why not have more for the same cost. however it really does not matter that much in your situation because it is doubtfull that you will run the LED's at full power anyway, i usually run mine at about 75% and i've got several sps in there

i am still thinking if i should add 2 more leds. Hmm? but you guys told me 4 CW and 4 RB is good to have SPS right? But anywho, i manage to order 1000mA driver and 700mA driver. i will be needing some help later on when everything comes in. thanks!

i am still thinking if i should add 2 more leds. Hmm? but you guys told me 4 CW and 4 RB is good to have SPS right? But anywho, i manage to order 1000mA driver and 700mA driver. i will be needing some help later on when everything comes in. thanks!

if the power supplies you have will allow it then i would say go for it! i checked out your thread and your tank is a little bigger than mine and it definitely wouldn't hurt to have more LED's on the build, more LED's will equal more spread. Also since they are on a dimmer then you keep it whatever level you would like

• 2 months later...

quick update: when first building an LED fixture for my pico reef i was hesitant whether it was the best way to go due to the limited information available about coral growth, however i am completely satisfied with my LED fixture and the dimming capabilities it has. it has done great for my trumpet coral and all other corals once i found the correct lighting level

quick update: when first building an LED fixture for my pico reef i was hesitant whether it was the best way to go due to the limited information available about coral growth, however i am completely satisfied with my LED fixture and the dimming capabilities it has. it has done great for my trumpet coral and all other corals once i found the correct lighting level

you found the heatsinks in a tv?

I am looking to gut some stuff. What items could I find heatsinks in :)

I pulled my copper sink from my old CPU but the contact isn't large even though the actual sink is.

you found the heatsinks in a tv?

I am looking to gut some stuff. What items could I find heatsinks in :)

I pulled my copper sink from my old CPU but the contact isn't large even though the actual sink is.

yep! it was a giant old projection tv. you'll find some interesting ones if you start looking. yeah cpu heat sinks are designed like that now unless you have the older intel pentium 4 heat sinks

• 1 month later...
Has anyone used a graphic lcd display or oled display connected to arduino to create a gui for a reef controller?

Great build, you lost me here though ;) I hate computers :P

Great build, you lost me here though ;) I hate computers :P

haha thanks! i've been putting this off for a while, i just haven't had the time to get to it

• 2 years later...

After putting off the build for almost two years, I have finally wired up the arduino to my buckpucks and written some custom code to control my LED lighting. Utilizes a fade in and fade out based on a user entered percentage value, and redundancy checks in case of power outages or resets. I'm in the testing phase right now, checking out how the fades look and that everything is being handled correctly in regards to timing. I'm focusing on making this build very clean by sending the pwm signals through stereo lines and mounting the jacks to both the light and the arduino project box housing. I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

I do have a question for those of you that have done this before about my wiring. Want to make sure my pucks and arduino are wired correctly. Currently the CTRL wire from the buckpuck is connected to pin9 pwm pin on arduino, and arduino gnd is connected to the buckpuck Vin- gnd. The arduino is powered by a wall adapter. Is this correct, or could it cause any damage to my lighting/arduino? Should any other parts be included in this circuit?

Arduino Duemilanove

Sparkfun DS1307 RTC Module

3023 Wired 1000ma Buckpucks

Archived