SaltCritters.com

96w 50/50 for 10g reef tank

lsuperma

Guys, I need help!

I just upgrade the light from 32w PC from CSL to 96w PC from Corallife on my 10g reef tank. I have several red mushroom, yellow Polyp rock, red Polyp, one plate and a Xenia. Now the Xenia doesn't fully open anymore.

Do you think 96w is too much for a 10g or it is just too much for the Xenia?

I got that light from http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html.

Thanks in advance!

--Robert

you may want to set the 96W about 6" higher than where your 32W was. the reason behind that is to let your corals/inverts adjust to the greater intensity/output. if you don't acclimate them to the light you run the risk of having them go into light shock. basically their symbiont algae goes into overdrive and too O2 is produced (corrosive/reactive). you can lower it gradually as the livestock adjust (you can usually tell thru coloration, slight lightening up)

caja's suggestion is also very good (and i'd do that too) if it's just one coral you're worried about. placement/environment is very critical for corals. that's one of the reasons why certain corals dominate certain sections (some other reasons are: competition, predation, food source, etc.). hth

Thanks for all the responses. I did what tinyreef suggested, raised the light several inch higher above the water. Fortunately, I have also purchased the mounting legs along with the light. The Xenia is doing fine I think. I have also move my yellow Polyp rock from top to the bottom. Everything is good now. Thanks again!

To ninhsavestheday:

I have no problem with my own 32w CSL. The reason of upgrading is my coral growing rate is just too slow, not much activity going on I should say, and I am limited to those low light corals with only 3w/gallon. With this new light, I get 9.6w/gallon. It just allows me to raise anything in my tank. BTW, that is a complete hood system with two fans built in. With just $96, the deal just cannot get better. At last, the new hood looks awesome with the 10g tank. :-)

--Robert

I have the 96W on my ten, I love it.

I don't know specifics on your tank, but with the dramatic increase in light could come a heavy burst of algae. Might want to double check your cleaning crew...

Archived