Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rio Motion "Wavemaker"

camustang

Just a little information on a product that I just got, in case you hadn't seen it.

It's a very inexpensive "wavemaker" that attaches to a Rio powerhead. It's just a typical Rio powerhead attachment (duckbill) that is on rotating washer (can't think of a better word) that spins the flow of the powerhead around using the waterflow as it's power (I hope that made sense).

Anyway, it was $12 from www.ffexpress.com and is a real easy way to add variable current to your reef tank. We'll have to see how long it lasts before it wears out ;) .

Hope this is helpful...

NanoReefer53

i've seen it at my lfs before, never seen it in action but it does look kinda big. It protrudes around 4" away from the powerhead.

Sounds cool, but I'd have to see it in action for myself.

I am already trying best to hide equipment, would like something like it to protude 4 inches out of a powerhead though.

One of the nice things about it is that you can choose to have either one outlet or two. If you have two, then they spin around in a circle, playing off the motion of the other. I think you would need a pump bigger than a Rio 400 (It fits pumps from the Rio 400 to 800 or whatever the top end is on the same frame size Rio pump) though to make the two outlets work. I'm using just one outlet. I tried to get it to work with my Rio 180, but it didn't seem to have the juice needed.

As far as it protruding, you can somewhat adjust that too. As you can adjust the angle of the "duckbill", and the angle of the outlet, you have some control over what direction it protrudes to, but about 3" or so is about right.

Here are some photos, three stills showing the pump in different positions. It takes about 12-15 seconds for it to make a circle.

Archived