Innovative Marine Aquariums

RO/DI system help

electrifry

Hi,

I just inherited an aquamaxx 4-stage "good" ro/di system from a friend,

www.aquamaxx.com/good.html#

My question is, can I use SpectraPure's carbon block, pre-filters, DI membrane etc in this unit? I have read a lot of positive reviews on their product.

If so, how do I properly size the replacement parts? I do not know the exact model I currently have in terms of gpd output of the system. I only compared what I have to the picture displayed on their website.

From what I have gathered from aquamaxx's website, the flow path of my setup is as follow: 5 micron carbon filter, 1 micron carbon filter, RO membrane, DI chamber.

Do I just replace with equivalent SpectraPure filters in exact order or is there a better setup? i.e. use a prefilter instead of a carbon block, or use smaller, 0.5 micron filter. What about bulk resin vs cartridge?

Also, I do not know my current water pressure since I am in an apartment. I will use this to maintain my 24g aquapod and some drinking water.

Please forgive the noobieness of my questions :)

Thanks!

Yes you can, Spectrapure filters are standard 10" size as are the ones in your RO/DI. This is a smart move on your part, all filters are not equal quality by far.

For replacements I would suggest a 0.5 or 0.2 micron prefilter, a 0.5 micron carbon block, the Select series hand tested and guaranteed 98+% rejection 90 GPD membrane with the matched capillary tube flow restrictor and a SilicaBuster DI cartridge. Most if not all of those can be found on sale here:

http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-...eciation.html#1

Using a carbon block as a prefilter is not too bright on their part. Good carbons are more expensive than normal prefilters and by using it to trap particulates and colloidal material you are plugging or fouling the billions of tiny microscopic pores in the carbon and rendering it useless for chlorine and VOC removal, waste of money. That is one reason why Spectrapure uses only a single carbon block, their research has shown that is all that is needed provided it is preceded by a high quality prefilter, thus their absolute rated 0.2 and 0.5 micron prefilters which do a great job of protecting the carbon and membrane.

Running over 80 psi is fine, in fact I run between 90 and 100 myself, its when you get over 100 the housings and fittings may be more prone to failure. 80 psi actually gives you higher quality water since the membrane works better as well as more water too. Most people would love to have 80-90 available, mine is 68 without the booster pump.

Thank you for the responses. That was what I thought as well, why waste a carbon block to act as a pre-filter considering carbon is much more expensive than a pre-filter.

Is there any reason to get the 90 gpd set up vs. 40 gpd? I do not use the system often since I am only supporting a 24g aquapod. Is it a good idea to oversize the system if it isn't being used or is it a waste of money? Also, in the future, can i simply upgrade to a higher capacity system by changing the flow restrictor and RO membrane?

Thanks again!

The 90 makes water 125% faster so less waiting around for water. The quality is the same as is the physical size so I would go for the 90.

Yes a larger membrane and matches flow restrictor are all it takes. Stay away from the Dow Filmtec 100GPD membrane though as it is only 90% efficient, its not really an RO membrane at all but a nano filter. Many ebay type vendors use this membrane so be sure of what you are getting before buying online.

Archived