Top Shelf Aquatics

16G AGA Bow Front set up?

Johnny B

I spotted the 16G AGA bow front at Petsmart today and have decided to jump and build a nano reef tank. As this will be my first salt water tank, I have a few questions...

Sump or not?

I like the idea of having a sump. I'm thinking about using a standard 10 gallon glass tank, drilling the bow front, using a SCWD, etc. The geek in me is searching the web and planning away.

Will the sump over complicate my setup? Am I better off with just a HOB filter for such a small tank? This will be my first salt water tank.

What about lights?

I've done planted freshwater tanks for a while using PC lights. Doing 2X32watt PC or a 96watt quad PC would be easy for me. Do I need metal halide? 70 or 150watt? I'd like to have zoos, xenias, brains, mushrooms, as well as a either a clam or a scallop.

Thanks for all the help!

Johnny B

Great site BTW.

Do I need metal halide?  70 or 150watt?  [/b]

Not really. You can have a beautiful tank with 96W PC's or even 2x32's.

The sump/'fuge is a good idea, IMO, and will also increase your water volume.

However, if you want to keep clams and/or some of the more higher light species (acros etc.) you're gonna want to get MH's.

First starting out, I thought I'd be able to get away w/110 watts PC over a 10 gal. Also thought the price of MH was WAYYY outta my range.....

I was mistaken.

Here's why.

I spent something like $95 on a retro kit (2x36), made the hood, installed the lights and fired 'em up.

Kept 'shrooms, LPS, Zoos....but then...I saw this SWEET powder blue acro frag...

AND IT WAS ONLY $10....gotta have it.

Added it to the tank, and it started to brown out, so I spent another $50 or so adding two 13 watters...that's all I had room for.. still not enough...

Ended up buying a 150w HQI retro for $185... (see where I'm going)

Had I bought the MH at the start, I would have saved money in the long run.

That was about three years ago.

Since then I have subscribed to the philosophy...

you can NEVER have too much light

One of my tanks currently has a 250W MH plus 2x55 Act03, over a 30gal.

the contents of this tank, are going to be moved to a 45 that I am building, that will have 1x150 HQI , 1x250 HQI, and 2x55 ACT03...

I don't think I'll ever get as bright as the Sun...I just need to keep the heat under control....

FWIW, I saw that 16 bow at Petsmart also, made me think about starting another....

hmmm...just gotta convince the wife.....

...ohh, honeee....

:P

2manytanks,

Thanks for the reply and the light tips.

I think I'd like to try MH but I'm a little leary of UV causing blindness as well as stories of MH lights blowing up. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Johnny B

Archived