Pod Your Reef

API Alk Test

awbowden

I know on the calc. test instructions it says you can add more than 1 drop at a time before shaking. Does the same hold true for the alk. test?

Thanks.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Yeah it tells you to, but I usually add the first 5, then 1 at a time from there, you shouldn't have water at 5dkh but I guess it possible.

bluefunelement

+1 for 5 then a good shake

actually I found that I HATE the API vials so I use 5ml in a red sea vial then I can swirl without needing even to cap it :P

I've found using a piece of saran wrap and using your thumb creates a better seal with no spilling. This is similar to the parafilm some people may have used in laboratories.

I've found using a piece of saran wrap and using your thumb creates a better seal with no spilling. This is similar to the parafilm some people may have used in laboratories.

Good idea, I'll use that one in the future I'm sure. I also use rubber latex (non-coated) gloves and just put my finger over it.

i just put my finger over it. thats how ive always done it.. is that bad?

Look at the safety/warning data before getting the solutions in contact with your skin.

+1 for 5 then a good shake

actually I found that I HATE the API vials so I use 5ml in a red sea vial then I can swirl without needing even to cap it :P

Same here. I hate the API vials.I use old Salifert vials and swirl instead of shake vigorously.

5ml with a ml syringe is always a different measurement then the API vials where marked.

bluefunelement

I did get 5ml from them - just nicer to not get the blue dye everywhere.

Same here. I hate the API vials.I use old Salifert vials and swirl instead of shake vigorously.

5ml with a ml syringe is always a different measurement then the API vials where marked.

Archived