ReefCleaners.org

Low Alk..

rahorman

I have a 34 gall. RSM, and tons of coralline algae. I've had the tank for over 4 months now, and haven't really scraped any of it away. Could this be why my Dkh is never really above 7 / 8? Its usually reads in around 6.5 or so, and I have to add buffer

I have a 34 gall. RSM, and tons of coralline algae. I've had the tank for over 4 months now, and haven't really scraped any of it away. Could this be why my Dkh is never really above 7 / 8? Its usually reads in around 6.5 or so, and I have to add buffer

What are you using for buffer and what test kit are you using? I would think the your coraline would affect your calcium levels, not your dKH, not sure though.

anything that calcifies uses both calcium and carbonate(kh, sorta)

what kinda coral do you have? they would most likeley use more calcium then coraline, knowing the buffer you use could also be useful

Using Kent Marine superbuffer Dkh...and an API alkalinity kit

How are you dosing the buffer? Not sure how good the API alk test are since I have never used them. Have you tested your water at your LFS? What is the range of your pH?

I add the recommended TSP maybe once a week...I haven't gotten my levels checked at the LFS. My pH is maybe 7.95 .96 at night when the lights are off, to around 8.1 8.2 during the day.

I add the recommended TSP maybe once a week...I haven't gotten my levels checked at the LFS. My pH is maybe 7.95 .96 at night when the lights are off, to around 8.1 8.2 during the day.

So a couple of things I can think of. I would first take your water to the LFS and ask them to check the dKH. I prefer the Tropic Marin KH Test Kit for testing this. If your test kit is good, then you should be adding the recommended dosage every day until the desired alkalinty/pH are reached. Also, how often do you dose calcium, what is your calicum supplement and what is your calcium level? Calcium and alkalinty will affect each other at a certain point. Also, you should be testing for magnesium as this plays a role in both. Maybe have your LFS check all of these and if need be, get better test kits.

Incase you didnt know the relationship between calcium and alkalinity:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/calcalkmar.htm

Archived