SaltCritters.com

Pura filteration pad

bird

Been trying out the Pura filteration pad.

I cut it to fit my overflow in modified Finnex back chamber. No water bypass. Seems to really help out. Running ULNS and along with the pad the water is crystal clear, corals are spread out full, no phosphates detectable, algae on glass is at minimum, haven't seen any cyano and ph is stable.

For a nano I think these pads are a HELP to keep the water clean. Kind of an all-in-one media. Mechanical, phosphate, organics, toxins, at least that is what the manufacturer claims.

So far so good. Will give them a few weeks and post on progress.

Anyone else use these pads?

http://www.marinedepot.com/PURA_Filtration...IFMMEPM-vi.html

Been trying out the Pura filteration pad.

I cut it to fit my overflow in modified Finnex back chamber. No water bypass. Seems to really help out. Running ULNS and along with the pad the water is crystal clear, corals are spread out full, no phosphates detectable, algae on glass is at minimum, haven't seen any cyano and ph is stable.

For a nano I think these pads are a HELP to keep the water clean. Kind of an all-in-one media. Mechanical, phosphate, organics, toxins, at least that is what the manufacturer claims.

So far so good. Will give them a few weeks and post on progress.

Anyone else use these pads?

http://www.marinedepot.com/PURA_Filtration...IFMMEPM-vi.html

Poly Filter pads are supposed to do the same thing, and the times I've used one I didn't notice much of a difference. I gave up on them long ago and just use ChemiPure Elite with good results.

I'm trying out Purigen in my NC12 right now alongside the CP Elite, been running it about 2 months now, seems to be doing some good, had been battling cyano for a while, its practically gone now. Almost time for a bleach soak, I hope that actually works as claimed.

• 2 weeks later...

Not real happy with the pad turns out. It clogs very fast is the main problem. The pad is so compressed that water will only flow for a day or 2 before backing up. Probably won't bother buying another. I ended up cutting the pad into 1" squares and placing them into a basket so at least I can get some use out of it and flow for more than a couple days.

• 1 month later...

I use this pad in my nano and 29 gallon...

I think it works great but I love the way it works in my nano. I've tried using Chemipure but I don't have a drilled tank so it's hard to find a place for water to flow through it. This pad is easier to stick in between something to get it to work.

This is my only filtration in my 6 gallon tank and it works wonders...

if it is clogging up too fast, try putting a generic filter floss type pad in front of it that you can change out every few days or when ever you need to. That will keep the pura pad from becoming clogged.

if it is clogging up too fast, try putting a generic filter floss type pad in front of it that you can change out every few days or when ever you need to. That will keep the pura pad from becoming clogged.

Good advice...

I have my pad in my hang-on filter. It does everything I need for my small 6 gallon tank. I usually leave it in the tank for about 10 days or so and I make sure I rinse it out every 2-3 days...

Bottom line is do what ever works for you. I'm limited with the type of stuff I can put in my tank...so this does the trick!

Have you tried the BAGGED version of this? Maybe also Chemipure?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took some pics of the filter and how the media looks in it!

See the last post of my thread below:

click here

I use this pad as the only measure of filtration in my 6 gallon tank and I also use it with a Remora Skimmer in my 29 gallon!

or something that will catch the big stuff before it gets on the pad.

find a piece of filter foam that has the biggest pores.

or something that will catch the big stuff before it gets on the pad.

find a piece of filter foam that has the biggest pores.

I tried that and it still clogs pretty quick.

Used the last of it the other day. I was only getting about a week use after scrubbing it so now I am going to give Chemi Pur Elite a go with floss on top of it.

I do still wonder if the 12x30 pad I got was made right. IT was compressed really tight, about to 1/4 inch. If it was not so compressed it would be a great product IMO.

• 1 month later...

After reading all the positives about the pad I decided to give it a try once more.

The new pad that just came does look a little less crushed than the first one I had tried.

I think I will get better water flow though it and not clog so fast as the last one I ordered.

I am just using the pad now. No carbon, skimmer or anything else.

Working really well. It was a fluke that the last one I got was compacted really tight. This one does not clog nearly as fast.

Results running only the pad.

No diatoms, cyano, hair, lots of clean glass and sand bed.

Great pad.

20longvid1017.jpg?t=1268962032

• 9 months later...

^++Mine last in the tray for 2 weeks with the generic floss on top to prevent the Pura pad from becoming clogged.

I've been it for over a year and will keep using it.

• 1 month later...

Right now I am running a phosphate pad as the floss, a bag of ROWA phos, and a bag of Pura complete in a penguin 200. The simplest phosphate remover has to be the API phosphate bag but I feel it adjusted my PH way too much and I stopped using it after a month. Using different medias has proven very useful. The filter pads they give you with power filters absolutely suck.

Archived