Innovative Marine Aquariums

Get a hermit crab out of it's shell

TNT276

I got a frag of some zoas last night and the guy glued them to a shell, well anyway over night a hermit crab choose to switch his shell for the other with zoas. How do i get him out without damaging the zoas, im thinking needle nose pliers, but I'd like the crab to live.

I got a frag of some zoas last night and the guy glued them to a shell, well anyway over night a hermit crab choose to switch his shell for the other with zoas. How do i get him out without damaging the zoas, im thinking needle nose pliers, but I'd like the crab to live.

hahah sorry thats pretty funny... youve now got mobile zoas... :D

I would say break the shell....or throw down a fw dip maybe? just throwing it out there..i have no idea so thats just my $.02

gooodluck

Short of killing it you are going to be out of luck in the short term. Like someone said best thing you can do is offer it a bunch of other shells in a closed container that will allow water to flow through it until it moves.

If it's glue to the shell you could try to just pop the glue off. I do this with frag plugs all the time so I don't have to drill rocks to put plugs in and it looks better. You could also try taking a sharp razor and getting under the mat and peel the polyps off then glue them to something else.

That is pretty damn funny tho. Let's some pics of the mobile zoa unit in action! :lol:

i vote you mount the shell to rock outside of water. the zoas and the hermit will be able to take being out of the water long enough for the glue to bond. put it back in the water. when the hermit figures out he can't move he'll jump ship? mabe put a shell right by him so he has some place to go?

does that sound crazy?

carbon-mantis

I saw a thread a few months ago where a guy immobilized the crab's shell, and after a bit of trying to get free, the crab just crawled out and swapped shells.

anyway they were expensive polyps and i get hermits for 8 cents so he got the pliers!.......

before we call PETA i just used them to break the shell up so hed abandon ship and heres the pic of him with his zoa-fro

DSC_0251.jpg

8 cents? you work for a lfs? even then thats an impossible deal! yu can make reefcleaners out of business. lol jk

ya i work for a lfs

so.... one of my fish stores charged me $3 for 1 hermit crab.... great haha

we sell them for 58 cents...but im in south florida too we sell porcelain crabs for 2.58

Guest nanoreefchris
Pliers work(ed) but cutting off the zoas would have as well.

I think I would just let the zoas be on the move for awhile, it would be pretty cool! They wont die either if they are shaded

crazy how prices vary from one state to another... here in iowa, hermits are $1 each and porcelins are $15 and ive seen fireshrimp routinely go for $40.. where we get big zoa rocks with 200 dragoneyes for $40

• 2 weeks later...
hahah sorry thats pretty funny... youve now got mobile zoas... :D

I would say break the shell....or throw down a fw dip maybe? just throwing it out there..i have no idea so thats just my $.02

gooodluck

From what ive read, F/W dip for inverts is a death sentence. Best bet IMO is toss more shells in and wait for it to switch out shells, then move the zoas to a rock.

does that lfs in florida ship? sounds cheap. im trying to find all the cheapest stores that ship. zoas on a hermit = awesome. probably would stress them out though. i wouldnt do it with a new frag. just breaking the shell a bit would make the shell undesirable to a hermit.

Archived