SaltCritters.com

Controlling algae in Solana fuge

doktorstick

Howdy.

I have the second chamber setup as a fuge for my Solana. I have from bottom to top chemi-pure, live rubble, and chaeto topped with mechanical filter. My light is on reverse photocycle with an 8W fluorescent. Algae has built up on the fuge glass. How do you control this?

Thanks.

By scraping it off.

^^ fuges are designed to grow algae, remove the nuisance stuff, and the chaeto should eventually be able to keep up with the bioload and the nuisance stuff should be reduced quite a bit.

Is the chaeto growing alright btw? 8w flourescent seems (to me anyways) a bit weak, but if the chaeto is doing well, then no worries.

^^ fuges are designed to grow algae, remove the nuisance stuff, and the chaeto should eventually be able to keep up with the bioload and the nuisance stuff should be reduced quite a bit.

Is the chaeto growing alright btw? 8w flourescent seems (to me anyways) a bit weak, but if the chaeto is doing well, then no worries.

It was a loose mat and had become dense, but it's size hadn't increased (currently the size of a large apple). I thought perhaps it had shrunk some when I noticed a fair bit of algae blocking light into the rear chamber.

It was a loose mat and had become dense, but it's size hadn't increased (currently the size of a large apple). I thought perhaps it had shrunk some when I noticed a fair bit of algae blocking light into the rear chamber.

Dunno if you're doing so already, but never hurts to rotate the chaeto ball around in the fuge while doing maintenance, or more often, helps shake any detritus off it too, which will also block some of the light it gets.

Archived