Top Shelf Aquatics

Purigen/Algone

GiantBen

How often do people replace purigen? Mine has green algae growing on the bag and is only about 1 mo old.

I am thinking of adding Algone also, to try and help with some red turf algae. I also run chemi-pure elite....

Thanks.

How often do people replace purigen? Mine has green algae growing on the bag and is only about 1 mo old.

I am thinking of adding Algone also, to try and help with some red turf algae. I also run chemi-pure elite....

Thanks.

I rinse mine off with the water I take out every week w/ I do my water change... It can be recharged when it starts looking kind of brown... I've had mine in since Sept.. I will probably be recharging it soon.. So thats about 3 months for me... It could probably go longer.. I've never tried Algone...

every 3-5 months. If you have algae growing on it you have other issues. Adding more chemicals is not the answer. Test your phosphates and figure out why you are getting algae growth.

I test for zero phosphates, but that is generally is-leading. I am starting to think the RO I get from the LFS isn't very good quality. I have two fish, which I feed every 2 or three days. I have an 8-hour photo period also. Seems like the water source is the prime suspect at this point.

Does the purigen bag see light?

I would guess it sees some. I have an inTank media rack and fuge rack with submersible lights. The fuge lights would shine through the racks onto the pruigen a little. The green algae isn;t covering the bag, it is just along one edge. I don't recall if this was the edge near the light. I'm only marginally concerned about that (just seemed odd to have algae on the purigen). I'm far more concerned about the algae in the display tank right now.

I'd blame inTank

or the water

I've never seen algae in my rear chambers but I don't have any light back there. Is there algae anywhere else in the media basket area? Or does it just like the porous bag?

I'd blame inTank

or the water

I've never seen algae in my rear chambers but I don't have any light back there. Is there algae anywhere else in the media basket area? Or does it just like the porous bag?

There is green slime algae on the racks, but that is all besides my shrinking ball of chaeto...

Archived