Cultivated Reef

RO/DI Units and TDS Readings

millerman

Hello Nano-reefers!

It's good to be back after several months of inactivity.

I'm finally going to invest in a Ro/Di unit, and i'm beginning to do a bit of research. One thing that eludes me is the TDS readings. What number should I look for when I measure the output of my RO/DI unit?

Also, I plan to order a spectrapure RO/DI unit from here.

I'm from Toronto Canada, and so far this seems to be the best place for a RO/DI unit. I'm planning to pick up either 60GPD or 90GPD unit, price being a big factor. I've read good things about the maxcap systems, but it seems totally out of my price range. The only justification for me to pick up a more expensive RO/DI unit is that I plan to stay in the saltwater hobby in the long run.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

PS My tank is currently going through a GHA outbreak. I've added a phosban 150 reactor recently, and began manually removing the GHA. The fishies are doing fine though. The tank has been running 9 months strong so far.

millerman

Thanks for the quick response. Do they ship to Canada?

Website says "Orders to Canada are a minimum $25.00 plus shipping costs." So, it looks like they do.

This is the unit I have (Maxcap) .. It's Awesome... It was a must have for me.. I was paying way too much buying water.. The unit will pay for itself..

After doing some reading, I agree. I'm going to order the 90GPD maxcap as soon as I hear back from the spectrapure sales staff. I live in Canada, so shipping rates/policies are different. Even after the currency conversion it's worth ordering it directly from Spectrapure's sale event. I'm just waiting to hear what the shipping rates to Canada are :)

I plan on housing a large reef tank in the future (5-7 years time), so this unit will pay off for itself in the long run.

After doing some reading, I agree. I'm going to order the 90GPD maxcap as soon as I hear back from the spectrapure sales staff. I live in Canada, so shipping rates/policies are different. Even after the currency conversion it's worth ordering it directly from Spectrapure's sale event. I'm just waiting to hear what the shipping rates to Canada are :)

I plan on housing a large reef tank in the future (5-7 years time), so this unit will pay off for itself in the long run.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I'm from Toronto as well. Check out maxwaterflow.com

He is very knowlegable and helped me out with a booster pump. His prices are great and he is patient. It's worth the drive to visit him, since he doesn't list all his products on the website.

As far as the filters go you would want something like:

1st stage: 1micron poly or 5 micron poly

2nd stage: granular carbon or 1 micron poly

3rd stage: Carbon block

4th stage: RO

5th stage: DI resin

He has his own way of thinking what is optimal for filter arrangement, but this is the way I prefer it. I use the GC and carbon block.

When it comes down to it, all these ro/di units are all the same crap, except for the filter medium. As long as you are using good quality filters and RO membrane and water is testing good that's all that really matters.

There is no need for dual prefilters or dual carbons in almost all situations. If you want to double up on something do it with the DI which gets you bang for your buck.

You want the smallest micron size prefilter you can afford. The purpose is to protect the more expensive carbon block from fouling since it is made up of billions of tiny pores that adsorb the chlorine and VOCs. Larger micron sizes make the carbon act as a secondary prefilter rendering it worthless for organic removal.

Next you do not want any granular products in a RO/DI system, carbon or otherwise. Granular products break down into dust and plug the downstream components, usually the membrane since misinformed vendors fail to put a prefilter after the granular carbon to trap those fines or dust. One good carbon block in a 1 micron or less size if best. Granular carbon also has a very short useful life, often as little as 300 total gallons, that only 60 RO/DI and 240 waster gallons in a normal 4:1 waste ratio system!

Al RO or RO/DI units are not the same by far. You may find different flow restrictors, there are three or four common ones, Spectrapure uses only the best capillary tube type. There are different methods and components to connect things together, many still use the old screw type compression fittings, Spectrapure uses only John Guest type speed fittings. Some use plastic brackets, most do not supply an inline pressure gauge or TDS meter, many include a worthless flush kit with no proven value other than lining their wallet. Lots of different ideas but companies like Spectrapure have not been around in the same community for 25 years by being like everyone else, they are the best at what they do and stay around because of that.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there a big difference in water quality b/w RO units and RO/DI units?

It's been 3 days since i sent the email to spectrapure, and still no response :S

Aside spectrapure, what other RO/DI units out there are worthy?

Are Kent Marine Hi-S RO/DI units any good?

Also, Bulkreef supply seems to offer some decent RO/DI units. What do you think?

BRS has have video that explains the differences in RO units pretty well.

Thanks!

Are Kent Marine Hi-S RO/DI units any good?

Also, Bulkreef supply seems to offer some decent RO/DI units. What do you think?

Kent units work OK but are overpriced.

The BRS units are basically the same off the shelf unit most others sell, nothing unique or special about them.

Spectrapure is the only manufacturer who tests their membranes, ships them in a special wetted solution which makes them more efficient and in the case of the MaxCap guarantees the performance in writing. All others ship membranes dry as the come from the factory and rely on the manufacturers claims as to efficiency. Spectrapure is also the only vendor whoc blends their own DI resins for specific conditions. They have a long term DI testing program in the facility that has been in continous operation for years testing every brand and model of DI resin imaginable. From those tests they develop their own resins which are guaranteed to out perform all others and in my personal experience they do even better than they claim.

Spectrapure is also one of the only vendors to supply capillary tube type flow restrictors, Buckeye Field Supply is another, which you trim for your specific needs unlike a fixed restrictor that may only be ballpark when it comes to the 4:1 waste ratio. The 25 years of testing and development show in all their units.

Also the difference between RO and RO/DI units is worth the price difference. RO by itself, along with the carbon anyway, does 90-98% of the work and is the workhorse but its the DI that does the final polishing of things like nitrates, ammonia, phosphates and silicates that the RO misses.

With the massive sale going on, stick with the SpectraPure. It'll by far be the best investment for RO/DI you can make, I don't know of anyone that would disagree. B)

With the massive sale going on, stick with the SpectraPure. It'll by far be the best investment for RO/DI you can make, I don't know of anyone that would disagree. B)

I'm still waiting for the Spectrapure sales team to get back at me (it's been almost a week). Since I live in Canada, I need to contact them first before they will ship anything.

I'm still waiting for the Spectrapure sales team to get back at me (it's been almost a week). Since I live in Canada, I need to contact them first before they will ship anything.

Have you called them?

Hi-

email me at bruce@spectrapure.com with your order and I will get you what you need. I checked with our answering service and our sales email file and was not able to find your email/contact. I am not sure why your message went missing. This is something we are diligent about so sorry for missing you.

bruce

Hi-

email me at bruce@spectrapure.com with your order and I will get you what you need. I checked with our answering service and our sales email file and was not able to find your email/contact. I am not sure why your message went missing. This is something we are diligent about so sorry for missing you.

bruce

Just sent the email. Thanks for the reply Bruce.

Archived