SaltCritters.com

Sand Crabs

cowfishlover

cowfishlover

I lived in So.California when I was a kid. When I went to the beach I would wait for a wave to come in and then go out. Then I would hurry and dig in the sand and catch the sand crabs as they tried to escape. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? They are not shaped like a regular crab (emerald crab) and are probably not even a real crab. They look more like big pill bug or louse, but a clear sandy color. Has anyone tried to keep them.

I have not tried to keep them, however, I know what you speak of. Commonly called California Sand Fleas. Don't know much else but you can probably find stuff on the net.

2 major issues with trying to keep this animal...

1. temperature - the temp of the ocean there is cooler than most home reefs

2. feeding - they are sand bed feeders...likely to starve in your system.

Sorry for the negative news.

They make good bait though!

cowfishlover

What's a sand bed feeder? A few people have told me that they have them and that they are filter feeders. They bought them in fish shops, so maybe they are from somewhere with warmer water.

I brought 3 of these home from Florida...a month later, only one remains. You rarely see them; I see them only at night, the rest of the time they stay in the sand. Interesting animals, but not great aquarium inhabitants.

I think the critter you described is a mole crab (Emerita analoga). You are right about them not being true crabs, they are anomurans -- like the porcelains and hermits. They are quite cool, but because they are passive suspension feeders (not sandbed feeders) they would require both daily infusions of plankton, and strong currents.

If you were near the shore, it would be quite reasonable to collect a couple mole crabs, observe them a few days, then return them to the beach. It would be worth it just to see them do their thing -- feeding with their feathery antennae and all!

Archived