Coral Vue Hydros

Reefcleaners.org Dry Rock

WI Reefer

thanks! but seriously though please pm me, the rock is good, if you had a bad experience I can make it right. It will help me for my own records/information too, thanks again mrbigshot!

• 3 weeks later...

edit - nevermind I guess he got it from another vendor, different rock etc.... never seen our product.

update when you can mrbigshot - please. :)

• 4 months later...
any tips on rinsing/soaking this stuff? just got an order from john and it was perfect - just what i wanted.

in fresh water

swish rock around

in fresh sw

1: swish rock around

add directly to aquarium & enjoy

Very cool. I will be doing a fresh 40br build soon and will definitely be buying this stuff. Anyone on the fence should...well... not be. John is an awesome guy and goes above and beyond on a constant basis.

johnmaloney

THanks! Use a hose to get the dust. It isn't like fan dust or anything, the rocks have just been around a lot of rocks and they get grinds in the holes.

Blueangel44
1.jpg

loving the rocks john! :)

thanks.. i ordered 13lbs and have like almost half left over...

the pic is of a 10g.. really porous rock.

Edit: also, my box was shipped all the way across the country and it seemed like it was in perfect condition.

So you would say that is around 6.5 lbs in that photo?

• 3 months later...

If i put like 20 pounds of the Caribbean reef rock from reef cleaners in my already established tank which has about 10 pounds of live rock in my bio cube will that kill cycle and kill my fish?

Deleted User 6

Dry rock shouldn't cause a cycle if it's washed well beforehand. You will still see some algae bloom, but shouldn't have any major issue with ammonia or nitrite.

Here's pictures of my reefcleaners rock. Overall it was a positive experience.

This is 50lbs. There was very little rubble. I did not take a pic of the rubble left in the box, but there was about 2-3 lbs of rubble in the box. The box's shipping weight was 53#

051.JPG

053.JPG

As promised, this stuff stacks quite well. It took far fewer tools to stack and secure these than I expected. As you can see, it has a large number of holes and depressions as well. Also, John was very responsive to emails when I emailed directly to the address on the reefcleaners.org site.

Neither good nor bad, just the facts: although very porous and relatively light, the rock itself is pretty dense. It was difficult to drill into even with a brand new masonry bit. Don't be expecting to just walk up and drill into hot butter because of the way it looks.

Rinsing: These were going in a new tank so I had no worries about problems with existing critters. I first sprayed the rocks with a high pressure hose to get stuff out of holes. Then I swished them around in a bucket of regular tap water. It seemed to be adequate.

Garf grunge was used for seeding so I can't tell you for sure if these rocks had any cycle of their own. With three lbs of grunge, I can tell you that nitrite never got above 1 ppm and there was no detectable nitrite within 3 weeks. So if they did have a cycle it was mild.

Suggestions: maybe offer smaller size rocks for orders. That may not be possible, but as you can see the sizes were basically footballish size. Not a deal killer by any means, but I spent a lot of time with a hammer and a metal rod trying to get some usable sizes.

Archived