Innovative Marine Aquariums

Just got tank running, what next

new2reefs

earlier Thursday afternoon i added filtered water to my 10g. Right now i have the heater, powerhead, one hob filter running with carbon and ammonia media, other hob not on yet cause not sure what to put in it. the salt looked like it dissolved a while ago but im guessing it takes longer then 6 hours. When should i start adding my live rock. i know the cycling of the tank after lr and ls can take weeks but how long would this take.

Thanks for helping me with my last post guys i appreciate the help

Check you salinity in the morning and see if its good if so youo can get some rock add some sand ect. as for the ammonina media I'd ditch it, ammonina is food for the bacteria that you are trying to grow...Welcome to N.R.-Yves

Second what Yves said. Make sure pH, temperature, and specific gravity are stable. SG should be around 1.024, pH of 8 or a bit higher, and temps around 80 degrees F. As Yves suggested, remove the media bag from your filter, it will be counterproductive at this point.

what kind of media should i put in the two hob filters i wanted to turn one into a refugium but dont have the outlets for a light for it.

I know carbon is a good think but what other types of media are good for a reef.

Right now, you don't need anything. Honestly, where a nano is concerned, the only time you shoud require specific media is if you are trying to correct a problem - cyanobacteria, or algae blooms. In the case of algae, high nitrates and particularly phosphates are usually the culprit.

Do not ever underestimate the need for, and the power of, partial water changes. This alone helps deter the need for a lot of excess chemicals in your tank. A good quality carbon can be added if you choose, after your system is established (I don't recommend using carbon during your cycle) Others may have different opinions.

Archived