Cultivated Reef

confused noob...

yeroc40

This may seem elementary but in all the research I've done I'm still unclear about one thing.

When first starting a nano from scratch would I want to used fully cured LR or some that is not fully cured?

Would one produce a better cycle than the other? What about a mix. Ive been to two different lfs and they each have some cured and some not. The one store has some that is cured and is really gorgeus and has a ton of life on it but I'm not sure if fully cured will cycle a new tank??

Thanks!!

I've got 1/3 rock what was in the LFS tank a long time, so ful cured... and 2/3 rock what was in the LFS tank a week, to get most die-off off... I like the mix. I never measured any NH3 nor NO2 with Salifert tests.

The cycle is the growth of beneficial bacteria on the rock. if it is fully cured, your cycle will be short cuz the bacteria have already established itslef. If you want to feel safer, buy the cured, ( always better for nano's IMO ) and throw a piece of raw shrimp in there after you put the rock in. the shrimp decaying will help boost your bene bacteria levels.

if it is 'really gorgeus and has a ton of life on it' buy it! you may get a slightly longer cycle but who cares? you can use the extra time to do more research!

nalbar

If the "Live Rock" is fully cured and comes from a tank with ZERO Ammonia, ZERO Nitrite, and low Nitrate, you couldnt ask for any better. That being said the definition of fully cured is all the stuff in and on the rock that is capable of dying easy has already done so in the LFS's tank. Not meaning to slam a LFS but have them test the water in the tank that you are getting your Live Rock from.

As far as cycling goes if indeed you can get some real nice rock full of life and doesnt smell like something rotting then you will have almost Zero cycle time, if any. This way most of the life you see on the rock will stand a chance of staying alive in your new tank.

hth

Jeff

when you are setting up the tank it doesn't matter much on what LR you use. just as long as you wait the 4+ weeks for the cycle to complete but if you need to add lr later use cured LR

What's your budget? If you get cured rock shipped you have to cure it again. I bought marshall islands uncured rock that was sitting in the sun still in the box all day before I grabbed it. New tank cycled in 3 weeks, tons and tons of life appeared. I didn't have diddly squiddly squat for about 2 months though, except for several kinds of coralline...

Archived