Coral Vue Hydros

Swimming worm

CrocoDillon

Hey guys, I found this swimming worm... it's about 2", and was swimming through my tank. Never saw this hitchhicker beforen, he must have been in a week or two. I'm impressed bij the pic, tried million times and this is the only one good enough for possible id, what bout him?

You can c in the pic that it has a body and tail part. when swimming he only uses his tail part. He uses the small things on the side of his tail to swim. I've seen bristleworm, i've seen them swim... this is not a common bristleworm. but thnx for ur reply ;)

i don't think that's a bristleworm. croc, that guy swims like a bat outta hell, right? ~~~~fast?

i don't know the specific name but i believe it's a detritus eater (altho it swims the water column like a mutha) and usually nocturnal. i read the name a couple of years back but fat chance on me remembering it. X)

Hehehe, I can't imagine what a bat outta hell must look like, but I guess your right, the mofo is a fast swimmer. the tiny things on his tail go like ~~~~... thats how he swim. if you find out the specific name, let me hear! thnx for replying! :D

its called a Nereis sp.. common marine annelid belonging to the polychaets so technically it is a 'bristleworm' you cant get to technical about a common name especially when bristleworm refers to the Class Polychaet which includes quite a few species. The little structures on the side that it is using to swim are called parapodia.

Archived