inTank Media Baskets

I've got a nudi!!!

komodo

I woke up this morning to see a solid black nudi crawling all over my lr. Why is he here? What does he want? Where did he come from? No seriously, I don't think that I have read anything good about these things and there is only one so far and he is a little bigger than a bb. He just seems to be staying where the algae? algea? (spelling?) is. Should I dispose of him as soon as posible or should I keep him and love him forever. I don't have anything but snails in the 10g tank so far and the tank is only about a month and a half old. Sorry I can't post picks I can't get him to smile and he wont crawl close enough to the glass. Maybe when he gets bigger I can get a descent pic. Anyways, any suggestions would be apreciated.

--Me

Remember, he's just as afraid of you, as you are of him.

I'd start working on a specific ID, and then decide whether to love and cherish, or search and destroy.

I have a sort of brownish one that started out absolutley tiny and is now about 1/4 inch long. I guess that I figure if it could find enough food through a month of cycling to survive, then it must not need to eat anything that isn't already on the rock.

could be a sponge eater (color) or could be a flatworm eater (maybe chelidonura varians, common).

Should I dispose of him as soon as posible or should I keep him and love him forever.
i think that depends upon what it feeds upon and if you're willing to feed it that foodsource.

for ex. i recently had a soft coral-eating nudi in my tank. looked gorgeous and as long as it wasn't killing the corals i was willing to let it live (milking the corals versus consuming them, hopefully). today, i saw three (mom, dad, and baby) squatting on a sickly shriveled nephth. (fwoooosh!)

up to you, they can be very helpful or very destructive. they're usually beautiful. kinda like women, i guess. hth

up to you, they can be very helpful or very destructive. they're usually beautiful. kinda like women, i guess. hth

Yup, beautiful and dangerous. Definitely don't give it a credit card.

Well first off thankyou all for your replies. For the past two weeks I have had a colony of polyps or zoe's (not sure yet) pop out of one of my lr pieces and it doesn't seem to bother them yet. Other than that and the snails there isn't really anything in there that it could kill and I care about it. I am guessing that giving this nudi an identification won't be easy. Any suggestions as to how to clasifie it before I start the big search? I can give a description "small, black, and squishy". I am not sure if that will help but it doesn't hurt to try.

--Me

Archived