SaltCritters.com

Strange filter feeder "hands" in my coral

T.J.

Now that my coral has been identified as a Galaxy (thanks forum!), what are these filter feeding "hands" coming out of it?

DCP_2342.JPG

Here's another closup of the feeders. Are they part of the coral?

DCP_2341.JPG

Here is the whole coral. I am keeping an eye on its sweepers, making sure it doesn't get to my zoo's next to it.

DCP_2340.JPG

Some of my zoo's.

DCP_2346.JPG

Thanks for all the help. This is my second go at a reef tank. My first one was a 55gal, and was very successful. Now I just have this 7 gal nano and a 45gal freshwater.

TJ

yup, thats what they appear to be. surprised they arent getting stung, do they appear to be a diff animal, or is it coming from the Galaxea ( really looks like one now, nice pic )

They don't appear to be getting stung, the tenticles touch them all the time. They stick out of a small bulb in the coral skeleton, birdman, so your guess is as good as mine. I target feed the coral the invert gumbo, and I make sure to spray some on the fans as well.

TJ

I have a bunch of fan worms growing around and on some of my corals, seems the feathers are immune to the stings, much like a clown/anemone situation, probably gives the fan worm some protection.

Archived