ReefCleaners.org

Micro/Mini Jet and/or HOB??

Overtkill

Im planning on starting a 10g reef in the near future...and in planning, im wondering what would be the better choice:

A HOB filter, minus the cartridge, used only for circulation & a micro/mini-jet

or

2 micro/mini-jets?

Or does it even matter?

AND if i use 2 micro/mini-jets, what would be the optimal positioning in the tank? Both at the top back facing forward, both at back...one high one low, facing which dir???

Thanks for any help.

I ran 2 MicroJet 320 PH's in my 10g when I first started it. I found the foam filter pads clogged very frequently and needed to be cleaned often. Since then I have removed one to the SW mix tub and added a AC 201 PH in the upper back left corner and kept one MJ 320 in the upper right rear corner, sans foam filter.

This past summer I added an IceProbe Chiller which is housed in a AC Mini HOB. Now the chiller is gone but I have kept the Mini for additional circulation.

Personally I would forgo 2 MJ 320's. They are small, but they need cleaned to often. An AC Mini is nice for when you need to run carbon, like I am now, or other products. You can always shut it down completely, and you can adjust the flow easily by sliding the intake tube back and forth within the unit itself.

Placement in your situation will be predicated on your rockscape. How high it is. Is there room behind and alongside of the LR between it and the glass. Where your coral placements are and will be placed. So placement is a custom thing.

Recently I purchased a Quiet One 2100 pump and a SCWD to replace all my PH's and clean up the mess behind the tank with all the extra power cords, etc.

Have fun!

A device that fits onto the output hose from one pump, splits the output, but alternately sends all of the water one way then the other. Like a left/right/left/right automatic pulsating water switch.

In my opinion, overkill for a 10 gallon unless you already have all of your other necessities, but admittedly a cool & useful device.

I have 3 10-gallon nanos:

One with a 150gph HOB + 1 MicroJet

One with a 300gph HOB w/ surface skimmer attachment

One with a 150gph Eclipse Hood only. This tank has less live rock so water flow is unobstructed. It's a zooanthid grow-out tank.

Water flow in all of these tanks is adequate. All have been running for quite a while with no problems. These tanks have SPS, LPS, Soft corals, and Polyps, depending on the lighting of each tank.

Check it out here, type "SCWD" in the search box:

www.drsfostersmith.com

Or try this direct link (may or may not work)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Archived