Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Refugium for 18 gal

mollydog18

:blush: These may sound like some silly q's and I appreciate your help & advice.

We have an 18 g ViaAqua tank w/matching stand and want to set up a refugium for it. The main reasons we want a fuge- pod reproduction, removal of nutrients, frag attachment, and possible xenia nursery.

We plan to build an under tank model thats 18" x 11" x 11" -approx 10 g. (pretty much our limit b/c of shelf size) How much LR, LS, etc will we need? How much light required and how long each day? What flow rate should we aim for?

We currently use an AC300 for filtration. Should we keep it or not and how would this affect our fuges design?

Is it ok to put the heater & therm in the fuge- will the tank get heated properly, etc.?

Thats the end of the bombardment- for now:P ...

TIA, Nicky

How is the water going to get to the fuge is my main Q.

Ill answer what I can now though. You can ditch the AC, but if you use it for flow you may need a PH, again, need to know the ans to my first Q.

Since it's under stand you can light it 24/7, or reverse photoperiod ( which I like for animal life in there), the reason for this is to stabilize ph drops at night in the display tank.

How much LR and LS depends on how much room, Id go w/ a few really choice "holey" pieces of LR and about a 2 inch sandbed, again depends on how much room.

Yes you can put your heater and thermometer in there, the heater will mork more efficiently because the water passes slower over it. If your therm is in there, I would put a small stick on on the display tank just to have 2 points of reference.

Just make sure you have your flow configuration setup properly so as not to cause a flood! Think it thru :P

Archived