inTank Media Baskets

Green/red Gracillaria

JimmyZtank

is there a difference between Green or red Gracillaria besides color?

any recommendations on what other macro I should put with Gracillaria? I want to stay away from halimeda and calupera....maybe Chaetomorpha? How much do you think I need for a small CPR fuge, one hand full of each??

i've never directly heard a growth rate difference but i think red dominates in the wild so that may imply a faster rate of growth. ???

however, the pigments/chemicals that differentiate them may be a factor for you in the future. carotenoids or whatever-cilins that make up the red may be harder to replenish as it grows or is exported out of the system versus the green. jme that red algae is usually a little more difficult to rear than green.

Green grows much faster than red. Green and red gracillaria are very different, but both very good fuge macros, along with the chaetomorpha>>>they are perhaps the least likely to go sexual of any macro...unlike seagrape and other caleurpa. Keep them all! The more variety you have the more reliability you will have since if one species goes sexual, the less percentage will be lost, and the others can fill in. Start with just a little bit of each...sometimes a little stalk is all that is needed to grow a bush in a short amount of time. Keep in mind green grassilaria does best under higher lighting, and strong water flow...unlike some others like halimeda.

Greetings All !

What is commonly sold as "Red Grape Caulerpa" is not a Caulerpa at all. It is typically a alga of the genus Botryocladia.

Caulerpa Botryocladia

Chlorophya. Rhodophyta.

Rapid growth rate. Moderate growth rate.

Root/rhizome attachment. Holdfast attachment.

Horizontal growth habit. Vertical growth habit.

Excellent nutrient exporter. Poor/moderate nutrient exporter.

Easy to propagate (IMO). Intermediate to propagate (IMO).

HTH,

GDW

Archived