ReefCleaners.org

New to nano reefing

bleu8

Hi All

I have been learning a lot from all of your posts...thanks.

I come from a freshwater Mbuna background and have just placed an order for a ViaAqua 11 Gallon (elevated hood) with the intention of starting a nano-reef tank. I plan to use a JbJ formosa 72w that I already own to upgrade the CF lights.

I have researched some equipment raised on these forums and have some additional questions:

1. I have read that the Powersweep 214 has recently received an upgrade from the manufacturer. Would this powerhead make a good Wave Maker?

Anyone tried this revised product?

2. A Lfs associate advocated a millennium 2000 over the AquaClear 300/500 because of its internal Venturi Aerating Feature - any thoughts.

3. Would a Tronic 50W Heater fit inside the AquaClear 300 - anyone?

4. The ViaAqua is 17.75" tall and I was considering making a vertical spray bar running behind rocks - attached to a powerhead - for water movement??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Bleu

My 125g Mbuna tank:

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/view_album.p...onsalbum&page=1

1-3 I cant answer, sorry. but im sure someone can. 4 i say ferget the spray bar, you can get plenty of movement from the PH and the HOB. i dunno maybe its the engineer in me, but ive got a 301 PH for 174 gph and the HOB for 74 gph and I think ive got too much flow when they are turned up half way, heh, ive calculated angles and what not and positioned it up for max flow (it helps to have rocks)

what im saying is, if you mess with it enuff you get hi flow areas and low flow areas, which IMO is what you want, mostly hi flow, but gotta have the low flow place or two. So in the end i say the HOB's youve got in mind as well as your PH, should make for great flow, besides, its just a small tank, so water current is deflected

my 2 cents...

1. pass on the Power Sweep, revised or not. If memory serves me they're BIG. Something like 5" long or so. "Seems like a waste of space."

Get a couple of Mini or Micro Jets.

2.Don't know much about the Millenium.

Do know that the AC 300/500 can be DIY'd into a very nice HOB 'fuge with very little work.

3. Tronic will fit in AC 300. Have one in my wife's AC 'fuge on her seahorse tank.

4. Spray bar is a nice idea. Helps with flow/movement also.

White PVC gets annoying though...consider that black, drip system tubing that Rain Bird makes. U can get it in 2' rigid (well semi...) 3/8th in. diameter pieces.

5. Skimmer would be a good idea.

CPR makes a nice one, albeit pricey. Via Aqua even makes one....I've seen it in action on a friends tank. Works pretty good. Cheap too.... seen it for like $70 or so. Kinda big though....

HTH

my 2 cents...

1. pass on the Power Sweep, revised or not. If memory serves me they're BIG. Something like 5" long or so. "Seems like a waste of space."

Get a couple of Mini or Micro Jets.

2.Don't know much about the Millenium.

Do know that the AC 300/500 can be DIY'd into a very nice HOB 'fuge with very little work.

3. Tronic will fit in AC 300. Have one in my wife's AC 'fuge on her seahorse tank.

4. Spray bar is a nice idea. Helps with flow/movement also.

White PVC gets annoying though...consider that black, drip system tubing that Rain Bird makes. U can get it in 2' rigid (well semi...) 3/8th in. diameter pieces.

5. Skimmer would be a good idea.

CPR makes a nice one, albeit pricey. Via Aqua even makes one....I've seen it in action on a friends tank. Works pretty good. Cheap too. Iv'e seen it for like $70 or so. Kinda big though....

HTH

1. The power sweep is a great idea for big tanks but it is 2manytanks is right. That is unless you want an equipment only nano.

2. You only need aeration for FO tanks from a powerhead/filter.

3. Tronic heaters are great! Mine is 12 months old and never caused me any worries yet.

4. I would suggest making a DSB spray bar. Check out the thread with my tank where some guy made one.

Archived