inTank Media Baskets

star polyp question

Mmorse

When I bought my star polyp colony it was on a small baseball sized and shaped rock its been a while and the colony is spreading. though it has nowhere to spread on the rock. Its just growing off the rock. Can I somehow cut the growing pieces off and plant them somewhere else. If so how is this done and how do I attach them.

Just cut the pieces off with something sharp and superglue the new pieces to another piece of rock! ;)

Try searching on propagating star tpolyps, you'll find alot of info, I'm sure you'll be getting more responses with the same suggestion! :)

Mine fragged very easily. I used an x-acto knife and made one quick clean cut across the mat (surgeon style).

I fragged 2 pieces for an experiment: I read that if you make thin cuts on the bottom of the stolon mat (like scoring clay) they will attach better. I attached both with aquastik epoxy, and lo and behold the one I scored survived and spread within 10 days, while the other still isn't spreading as evenly and nicely.

Thanks for the help, ill try it and see how it goes. Maybe ill pick up some live rock rubble and attach it to that and get some store credit from the lfs.;)

Archived