Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Silicon Valley LFS recommendations?

Mabster

A little advice needed. I'm looking into setting up a 10 gallon nano. I've done plenty of research and finally think I'm going to take the plunge. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a LFS around San Jose/Los Gatos CA that has a good quality supply of LR/LS? I've been to a couple places (Dolphin Pet Village, Amazon Pets, T&T Aquarium) and all of their live rocks stink. Literally. All brown rocks, no coralline growth or anything. The stuff I see at online vendor sites looks full of life and actually has color to it. Is it usually this hard to find quality live rock at LFS's??

If there are no LFS that has quality LR/LS can anyone recommend a good online vendor in CA somewhere so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg in shipping costs? Somewhere that sells rock by the pound and not by the box.

if youre willing to go up to concord i would try out 'all about fish'. its near the concord mall(sun valley, i think). they have cured fiji lr for like 3.99 per lb over ten lbs. and 4.99 for less than ten....something along those lines. quite cheap and very good quality. im from vacaville and its about a 40 minute drive to concord...and lemme tell you, its soooooo worth the drive. also, if youre lookin for livestock(corals, fish, inverts.) go on a sunday cuz they have awesome sales(10% off first fish[most expensive one] and on till the 4 one then it goes back to 10%). goodluck!!

oh yeah...you can try 'the aquarium' its down the street and next to circuit city i believe....good stuff...but too expensive. and their lr is not cured.

Thanks guys. I wanted to go this weekend and get this show on the road so this info really helps. I was so close to paying out the nose online. I'll go and check these places out.

AC is def. worth the drive. I worked there for 4 years and commuted to Hayward from Sunnyvale 5-6 days a week. Excellent place.....I am kinda biased:D

Cameron

Physh, no need to be biased. AC rocked. It was the best out of the 4 I visited last week. Will totally be going back there for some corals and stuff when my tank is done cycling. They didn't have very good LR though. I ended up buying my LR it at "All About Fish" It wasn't all the way cured (still smelled) like they said but it had real nice coralinne growth and was easily the cheapest.

My ranking of the 4 I visited:

Aquarium Concepts (only 30 min drive from San Jose and AWSOME selection of corals and pretty sane prices)

Tropical Paradise (simple set up with lots of small frags for a little cheaper then AC)

All About Fish(great prices on LR and hard goods)

The Aquarium (worthless to me, long drive high prices, small selection compared to AC)

Archived