Pod Your Reef

Big News!

johnmaloney

I have just contracted and paid for a Marine Life Dive Endorsement. Which means, once the paperwork is finalized in Tallahassee and sent back, I will be able to collect a wide assortment of odd inverts, and algae.

For the invert crowd, new cleaners will be added to the site, as well as an odd inverts section. The Odd Inverts will either have limited uses in cleaning reef tanks, or would be great cleaners if they weren't "reef safe with caution", or not reef safe at all. Pincushion urchins for example, which we consider to be too careless a cleaner to keep in reefs, will be in this section. Coloring will be awesome, (and custom for the patient), but if it is tearing up your tank looking for camo then I wouldn't call it reef safe. Decorator crabs, who might frag your Captain Crunch zoa for a new hat will be available from time to time as well. Other seasonal species will include micro sized decorators and anemone crabs which won't pose a threat, but won't have much cleaning effect.

On the algae front, quality and reliability should greatly increase, at least during the better parts of the year. Want a mermaid fan the size of your head? Yeah we can get you that. Want a pencil cap as a tall 10 inch hitching post in that 100 gallon seahorse tank? Can do. A halimeda clump 16 inches in diameter? I can put you on the short list. Caulerpa in much greater size, quality and selection? Absolutely. Do you guys carry hard to find in stores coralline algae? Soon enough. :)

Anything bad about the changes?

I will be away for a few days every other week, roaming different spots soon. This will cause email reply "blackout" dates. Notices will be placed on the website prior to and during my departure from the keyboard.

At some point I will find some extra help to run the website and reply to emails, but for now I feel better micro-managing.

Locals will have to wait a while for a retail store. The cost of today's transaction has forced postponement.

Will let you know...we might end up using rss or twitter to keep people posted when we will be collecting something that is harder to find in most outlets.

it would work better than an email i think. i always feel like i need to run a sale everything time i send something that is more of an announcement rather than a promotion.

the forums work well too, but often the person waiting for something gets to it after it is sold out. some of the rarer algae we had were like that.

going to be put on hold. we were going to go that route, because we assumed that a MLD permit was out of reach. we were able to work that problem out though, and changed course so to speak.

Archived