Top Shelf Aquatics

Water Change Question

Djm9288

Okay, I have had my tank for a month and everything is cycled. I have 20lbs of LR and 2 false percs, some hermits and snails and I might get some corals in a few months. So if thats the max. bioload, how ofted will i have to do water changes? Should i stick to once a week or what?

Thanks

Daniel

yes, less changes may happen as the tank becomes more stable and deending on how hardy your corals are...

I would still recommed 10-20% water change at least every two weeks.

HINT: keep an extra 5 gallon bucket mixed/made up with mixed salt water. In the bucket put a small, cheap pump/power head and a 50 watt submersible heater. When you do a 1-2 gallon water change on the main tank pull from this pre-made/pre-mixed/pre-heated bucket. Then turn around and replace the amount of water of you water change into the 5 gallon bucket. This way you always have water on hand and water changes only take a few minutes.

I always keepp an extra 3 gallons ready/pre-made/pre-heated.

Good luck,

parhead

I like Parheads idea. I dont follow it exxactly, but I change water every two weeks and about 3 days before the water change I just make the water and let it sit in a bucket with a powerhead. Room temp is about 26C always.

As for water changes, as a tank matures and become more stable, yes you can get away with less water changes, but you must at least do a water change per 3 weeks.

Its NOT only about removing wastes, it also about ADDING essentials such as calcium etc that you have return to the tank as such are being used up.

I agree with what the others say regarding having water pre-made. I remember that I always HATED having to do water changes on my saltwater tank(s) years ago because of the ORDEAL of having to mix the salt with the water, letting it set, getting the water TO the tank, getting the temperature right, etc…

I do what Parhead suggested, but to a little greater degree. I have three tanks. My 21g nano, and 28g and 55g fish only tanks. I have gradually gotten to the point where I have a barrel in the garage filled with pre-made saltwater. I get the RO (reverse osmosis) water from my LFS, and pump it from the van (from a smaller barrel) to the barrel in the garage. I throw a heater in the barrel when necessary (winter, since I’m in Southern California). I use the same pump that I have to move the water from the van to the barrel to pump from the barrel directly to my tanks (Little Giant pump).

I just siphon the “old” water from my tanks into a trash can with wheels on it, and then just pump the “new” saltwater directly into the tanks. All temperature, pH, and salinity (specific gravity) balanced. I can change the water in all three tanks in about 20 minutes (maybe 30 on some days).

Anyway, this is WAY overkill for one tank. I only did this when I got my second and third tanks. The other benefit of this method is that I buy the salt (Coralife) in the biggest quantity I can get it in, which is a 300 gallon box (80 lbs., I think) for $79 from my LFS. This is MUCH cheaper than buying the typical 50 gallon bag for $20.

I found that the easier I made it on myself, the more likely I was to do water changes. Now if the water is a little cloudy, or some other reason, I can do a quick water change. I also keep several jugs of RO freshwater around for top-offs, rinsing test tubes (spot free), making Kalkwasser, etc.

20% a week is a good amount. And to parrot the others, it’s waste removal as well as nutrient regeneration that is the reason. Therefore, if your fauna is using the nutrients, then they need to be replaced either through regular water changes, or dosing of the specific nutrients.

Ok, MUCH more info than was requested, good luck all!

Archived