Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bristleworms and GSP

donteatthenano

donteatthenano

I was issued a GSP frag for good behavior about 1 1/2 months ago. It was doing very well up until a couple of weeks ago. The polyps retracted for nearly 5 days. I decided to move the rock to another part of the tank and they were back to full extension.

Recently, they started behaving as they had before, but because they are in a more visible location in my tank, I've noticed that there are a couple of inhabitants in the rock and under the GSP mat. I haven't made an attempt to identify the bristleworms but I'm almost positive that they are the source of the problem. The mat IS receding so I'm certain something needs to be done quickly.

I was hoping I might be able to find answers to "How do I get rid of my bristleworms?" and "Is there a safe way to remove the bristleworms without damaging the coral?". I'd rather not introduce a bristleworm predator or something, as a solution.

Thanks ahead for any advice

• 2 weeks later...

Do bristleworms really #### of Green Star Polyps that badly??

I have a nice rock full of GSP but none of them have opened yet. And there are quite a few bristleworms hanging around that particular rock...

I'm thinking they do. I bought some brown star polyps about a month ago, and about 2 weeks ago I noticed a bristleworm.??? He's probably 2 1/2 inches long, only comes out at night, and I only see him on the polyps. I've never seen any other bristleworms in my tank. The rock came with one other HH I only noticed last night, a small tanish white crab, (or at least I assumed it was a crab, only caught a glimpse of him!) :| I noticed something in the corner of my eye as I was observing the bristleworm, and as I turned to focus on him, he disappeared beneath the polyp mat. ??? Haven't seen him since, but he's been on my mind.

The polyps seem to be doing OK, but I put 2 and 2 together after seeing these guys. Bristleworm and crab both live in the same vicinity of the rock where the mat is missing, can't say they've been munching on it because that area was the same when I got the rock. Tried to give the worm the benefit of the doubt, but I'll probably be picking up a trap today also! :

Any suggestions on luring the crab out for a better look/possible capture?

donteatthenano

fortunately my gsp is still secluded to one rock and i was able to move it. i found out that bristleworms don't like a lot of water flow and that my gsp is quite happy with it. i have an oscillating power head and my gsp is probably 5-6" away from the diffuser and all is right again.

Wish I could say the same thing about my bristleworm! :( My polyp rock is mid-water, directly under the output of my protein skimmer! Doesn't affect him at all, I even had a AQ 150 up until 2 days ago in the same spot and he didn't seem to mind at all. :(

donteatthenano

if it's feasible, i would consider moving your polyp rock to a new location. if anything, maybe the bristleworm and crab will find something else (hopfeully something that will do a better job defending itself) that they'd rather get in to. just a thought.

donteatthenano

I got an open brain coral about 2 1/2 weeks ago and love it. It's especially neat when the sweeper tentacles come out at night.

Do maze brains spread their wings at night too?

I observed my brain last night off an on for about an hour last night in order to feed him some thawed out brine shrimp and the only think I really noticed were very tiny white polyps only extending out ~1mm. The polyps are located in the "passageways" on the brain (grooves). It seemed to take some brine, but there was no "real" extension of the polyps. Maybe he's still getting acclimated. ???

donteatthenano

i don't know what the typical extension is supposed to be brain coral sweeper tentacles. i'm sure it varies by type and age/size. i think my new coral has gotten used to it's environment after a couple of weeks and the sweepers come out about 1/4"-3/8" at their longest. i've been feeding frozen brine shrimp too. i usually feed in the morning before the sun comes up. i'll be taking pictures tonight of my tank so that i can post them and will make a new thread so not to confuse anyone about the original contents of this thread.

donteatthenano

actually, the turkey baster was my first attempt at a solution. unfortunately, the little buggers were too fast (and i've been practicing with my turkey baster every day). that doesn't mean that it won't work for somebody else though. i think i just need more practice.

Same here on the baster idea! The bristle is always anchored 1/2 to 1/4 of his length under the mat, odn't think the baster would be able to suck him out!:( He also darts back under the mat at the first sign of my flashlight coming at him! Smart little guy. Crab isn't small enough for the baster, was thinking about using something to lure him out so I can get a better look at him.

Getting ready to start doing some LR rearranging, where can I get the underwater epoxy? My crappy LFS doesn't have any. :|

I'd like to see the pics of the brain, post 'em when you get a chance! :happy:

Archived