Innovative Marine Aquariums

Established 7 Gallon Bow

MaDd HaTteR

MaDd HaTteR

After looking at all the new tanks pics I thought I would post a pic of mine. It has been going for a more then a year.. and I love it. It requires very little care, just the occasional water change and a few checmicals, thats about it.. I really don't fuss with it much. It has a Skilter 250 hang on bak pak, about 2" DSB and about 14 lbs of rock. Most of my corals.. well all of my corals were frags. I made a custom top (not quite finished) and added a 70 watt HQI MH and a 32 watt pc smartlamp. Pretty basic really and I like it.. no fuss.. no work.

Additional photos are here: http://groups.msn.com/MaDdHaTteRzPics/reeftank.msnw

NaNO ReeFiN

Oh wow.. that's a very nice tank! How do the damsel and clown get along...? Damsel doesn't bother the clown at all?

Thats one nice tank you've got there madd hatter!!! Looks really dense and plush with growth!! Congratulations on a superb tank!

A most awesome tank!

Full of life! I am really pleased to see a long running tank. Thanks for posting the pic.

How often do you carry out water changes? And what chemicals are you adding? --I'd really like to know what kind of maintenance is required on established systems.

And oh yeah, what size tank is it?

MaDd HaTteR,

Great looking tank! It really is good to see a tanks that have been setup for a while. Great for inspiration, especially when the tank looks like yours.

Gil

MaDd HaTteR

Ok.. here is somemore info .. I will tell you what I know.. lol. it is a 7 gallon bow front tank yes, with a custom made canopy I made.. this one being a prototype, it houses a 70 USHIO HQI MH bulb, which I run about 7 hours a day and a 32 watt coral life pc smartlamp. The filtration is handled by a Skilter 250 with just the fiber filter installed, though I might drop the charcoal filter in to try and clear up the hair algae that has started to grow, I don't use the skimmer on the skilter due to the fact that air bubbles are thrown back into the tank and the soft coral don't like it, inside the skilter I have a 50watt heater whuch I am sure never comes on. I have a micro jet attached to a spray bar placed in the back of the tank just above the sand behind the rock and a mini jet in the top right corner. I do (try to do) weekly water changes of 1 to 2 gallons. The only chemicals I use are Liquid Calcium, Strontium, Iodine and Marine Buffer. There are only 2 fish the clown and a damsel, and yes the damsel does pick on the clown but not so much anymore. When I first started this tank it was more work then what I wanted but now it is a joy.. especially noe that I spend lil time each week with it. Happy Reefin

it's nice to see yet another 7 gallon bow front. all i can say is that i hope that my nano will soon look like yours!

hey dude whats up? glad to see you join the forum. i thought you were gonna put that pic of the whole tank from a distance on here? i think you need to give everyone a look at you canopy theres a guy here wanting to know the best way to build one. seeya this weekend!

aaron

The tank looks awesome. I just switched to the 70w MH and so far I am thrilled with the lighting. I need to get a glass cover so I can also use my pc if I find it necessary (finally found a use for the petland gift certificates). I hope my tank looks that good in a year.

MaDd HaTteR

Crakeur, what type of MH setup do you have?? If its a HQI a word of caution, you need to put a piece of UV glass between your MH and the tank. I picked up a piece of no tempered UV glass from the local frame shop and it sits about 10 inches below my bulb. I tried to run it without and my corals quickly pulled in there polyps and my colt shrivled to a stem.

custom made canopy from a posting found here actually. the uv glass is there and everything seems to be doing fine. only had it on for a couple of days and, unfortunately, the room the tank is in suffered a major mishap thanks to some truly stupid construction workers. Fortunately the room will be usable tomorrow and I can actually sit and stare again.

MaDd HaTteR

Crakeur,

Can you give me any info or is there a pic of the hood you have..The one I made is ok., but I was thinkign about making a new one.. but if the price is right and the hood looks goood I might just buy one. can you send me any info?

very nice. i admire the tank.. keep us posted with some pictures..

and give us info of your inhabitants.. corals, fish, LR, LS, you know ;)

MaDd HaTteR

ok Here is a Full View of my tank with my prototype hood, its made of Birch laminate on a pine frame and I painted the inside with white oil paint. I am not a woodworker by any means and want to build another canopy at about 2/3 to half this size in heigth. I don't particulary care for the way it kinda dwarf's the tank and the lid dosen't close all the way. But like I said it was a protype and I have some ides on what to do and what not to do.

MaDd HaTteR

I just picked up some new Acuporia sps frags they are up towards the top. some blue and some purple..... tank is getting a bit crowded, but I have some corals I am getting rid of..

I am not sure what Acuporia is but dang your tank is beautiful! :love: Can you get some close ups of your new frags? Where are the corals that you are getting rid of going? (just wondering) :D

Gil

Archived