Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting when cyclinf

agoerl

When cycleing a tank is it better to leave the lights on 10 to 12 hours like you would in a fully cycled reef tank, or should you cut the time in half to reduce alge growth. I have herd both.

My other question is, I was planning to start out with 1 fish and a few inverts

only for a few months until I fel more comfortable moveing into the coral relm.

and I was wondering if the need the same amount of lighting each day ( ten to 12 hours is what I have herd for corals is) as coral or can they go with less.

Or does it depent on what kind of inverts you have. I will probably have 1 cleaner or pepermint shrimp, a few blue leg hermits and maybe 1 red legg hermit, and a few snails for my inverts. I think I am going to choose a yellow tail damsel, or a true or fals purcila clown, or possibly a firefish, still deciding

If you want to keep growth on your LR keep your lights on the 10-12 hrs, I have and everything has made it thru my cycle jsut fine.

I would highly suggest not getting a fish for a good while, they can create a large bioload on your new tank.

Inverts are suggested , primarily for cleaning and I enjoy watching mine. Snails are the ultimate cleaners

Archived