inTank Media Baskets

Low PH in day old saltwater

EricD675

Hi, I mixed my saltwater last night. I used oceanic salt and rodi water.. After letting it mix in and heat up, I tested the PH and was at 8.8 high side of API test kit...

So I then let it sit overnight and this morning I stuck the heater and powerhead back in there. Proceeded to let it warm and rechecked the PH and it is now at 7.8..

I`m lost :huh:

Is this fine? Should I add it to the tank?

... the dissolved oxygen levels drop as does the ph

NSW, yes, but not fresh SW mixed in a clean container.

I assume you keep your water indoors? Have you done the quick-and-dirty test for elevated indoor pH?

If you keep it in an air tight container, you shouldn't have a whole lot of co2 or o2 dissolve to effect your pH. If you already do, try filling the container more to reduce the amount of trapped air.

What is the quick-dirty test?

1) Collect a cup of SW, either tank or bucket and record it's pH.

2) Aerate with good air diffuser indoors for 1-2 hrs, re-record the pH.

3 Take cup, diffuser and airpump ourdoors and aerate for another 1-2 hrs and re-record the pH.

If your pH stays the same or drops when aerated indoors, then raises again when you aerate it outside, you have elevated indoor CO2 relative to outside air.

really? you can mix up SW and let it go stagnant and the ph won't change?

Was never a problem for me when I was still mixing water. 3:2, IO:Oceanic in a clean 5g bucket with a sealing lid. I let me water sit for up to a month with no powerhead or aerator and never had an issue.

So my best option would be to mix up the water and change it that day?

Your best option is to not worry about it and do the CO2 check.

Archived