Coral Vue Hydros

shrooms hate me!!!

derck_mullin

I've had my 10 gallon up and running for about 2 months now and have had nothing but problems with my shrooms. One set white hairy, one green pimple. At first they looked fine, but both had some start to detach. After they detach, they seem to just melt away. Now I'm left with about 1/4 the number I had and they look terrible. Just wondering what is going on. I also have a colt, a hammer and a torch, along with some zoos, some star polyp pieces and some daisy polyps. Everything else is doing fine. It's a 10g with two screw in 50/50 corallife bulbs and a powerwheel. Let me know if you guys have any clue...

Thanks

Derck

Temp is a steady 75. Salinity is about 1.024. I add 3 drops of Kent iodine and 10 drops Kent calcium a day. I haven't been testing much in the way of my water parameters other than that since my fish seem fine and everything else looks healthy.

Anything I might be missing?

It's possible the shroom just aren't happy with the location you've put them in. They can and will detach or even just move around on the rock to find better real estate. When they detach they will appear to be shriveled up. If possible, snag them and place them in a cup with rubble and netting and let them reattach then place them lower in the tank in a lower flow area.

Are they getting stung? Victimized by chemical warfare? Shrooms are tough buggers, but they'll probably lose a fight with a torch or hammer, and softies like colts can pump toxins into the water.

I'm going to stop the iodine. The biggest of my shrooms detached last night and when I came home today, it look like a bomb had gone off inside it:x !!! Needless to say it's definitely dead and the few remaining aren't looking well...

Is there anyway to get the iodine out of the water if there is too much in it? I changed about 10-15% a little while ago, but don't want to send everything else into shock by changing too much water.

Thanks guys...

i had this same problem and lost 4 differernt colonies of ricordias.... i found that the problem was too much water flow.... and i thought that if the shroom was just slightly moving from water current that, that would be fine.... but i found out that was wrong.... i killed alittle water flow from my pumps and put them in a low flow area and havent had a problem with shrooms since.... hope this helps

actually, they were pretty much out of the flow of any water. I put them into an area so that wouldn't be a problem. Since I did a pretty big water change over the last couple of days, everything has started to look a lot better. I'm not going to put anything in the tank other than new water from here on out.

Thanks again

Derck

Stop Dosing altogether. Just do water changes. unless you have a buffer with your CA your alk has probably gone to poo.

Take the wheel out as well. What is the wattage of your PC's?

The bulbs are the screw in 50/50 corallife units. They're only 13W each, but they are supposed to be 4 times as much due to the design...not sure I believe it, but they do look nice and are pretty bright.

Yeah, like mentioned earlier, I'm just sticking with water changes from here on. Everything looks much better already, and I've replaced probably 50% or so of the water.

• 4 weeks later...
derck_mullin stated It's a 10g with two screw in 50/50 corallife bulbs and a powerwheel. Let me know if you guys have any clue...

Hmmm. I would say try taking out the powerwheel, they don't do well in reef tanks. First the batteries die and then the decals will start to peal off. May be the battery acid is killing you mushrooms.

:D J/k

Do NOT dose without first checking the water. Shrooms do not need/use a lot of calcium. Too much iodine in the water will kill everything. I recommend buying some Salifert test kits for Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity and Iodine. The first 3 work together and greatly influence the pH and skeletal growth of corals. I have 3 nanos (mostly softies) and have never had to dose iodine. 10% weekly water changes are a great idea for a variety of reasons.

Crakeur Quoting Drew Quoting Derck

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drew Quoting Derck

"white hairy and green pimple mushrooms?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the last time guys, stop talking about my ass.

Crak, he wasn't talking about you. He said White hairy. Don't you dye your ass hair with Just for Men brush in gel (" for the hard to color hair of mustches, asses, and beards") At least that is what Drew told me.

Aquamedic, I was referring to the skin. I die the hair green.

thus white, hairy and green.

I take it the schooling for medics doesn't require much brain usage.

Archived